It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:00 pm 

I need help my 11 year old Border Collie (on Muenster about a year) is loosing all her hair. She is red under her neck and scaly on her back and rear. She seems to be getting worse. We have been bathing her in an organic dog shampoo with oatmeal and teatree oil but it doesnt seem to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 pm 

Try the new chicken and rice formula and let us know if it makes a difference.

Post subject: Missing Link
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:45 pm 

And/or you may want to try Missing Link with the new dog food. It is a supplement with lots of omega 3's - the skin and fur are the last to see the results, but I've seen some wonderful ones. Whereever you get your Muenster should carry it - if not, give me a call and I can ship it if you are too far away from us.
Marie
Eden's Organic Garden Center
214-348-EDEN (3336)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:42 pm 

My Great Pyrenees used to be itchy with hot spots until I started adding 1 tsp of ground organic golden flax seed, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, and 1 tsp of nutritional yeast to his food each day. His coat is now beautiful. Get a coffee grinder to freshly grind the flax seeds each day (and grind extra to put on your cereal or mix in other foods, up to about 1 Tbl per day - it is very healthy for humans too!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:34 pm 

A vet said she had a yeast infection and possibly a skin allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:54 pm 

The garlic will help against the yeast infection and boost the immune system, and the ground flax and nutritional yeast are great for skin allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 pm 

Where can you buy the organic golden flax seed and nutritional yeast ?
How much is it ?

Also, what does a good grinder cost ? and where is a good one sold ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:11 am 

You can mail order organic golden flax seeds (google them to find sources) or they are available at stores that carry organic foods. I get mine at Whole Foods in the bulk section when I am there shopping because it is convenient. I buy the golden flax seeds, which are more expensive than the brown kind, because we eat them too. For people, start with about 1/2 tsp. per day and build up to about 1 tbsp. per day. I put the ground flax in smoothies, stir it in cooked oatmeal (after it have been dished into bowls), sprinkle it on granola, cereal, etc.

It is best to store them in the refrigerator, always grind them fresh, and don't cook with flax seeds or oil (they are very perishable). I buy the nutritional yeast in the bulk section at Whole Foods too. Brewer's yeast, made from beer instead of molasses, would work too, but it has a bitter flavor.

The golden flax seeds are about $2 per pound and the nutritional yeast is more expensive, about $7 per pound. But the yeast is very light in weight, so a little goes a long way. Each dog has about 1 tsp. ground flax, 1 tsp. nutritional yeast and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder sprinkled on their food each morning.

I bought a little Braun coffee grinder for about $10 at Wal-mart 10 years ago. I think they are about $15 now, but I have used mine almost daily for 10 years now and it still works great. I also grind sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sprouted wheat that would clog my stone grinder, and grind spices such as coriander and cumin seeds to make ground spices. It is an inexpensive, but very useful appliance (I've never ground coffee with it since we are not coffee drinkers).

My Great Pyrenees dogs, who live outside, have beautiful coats with no skin or eye problems (their eyes used to run) since I started adding this mix to their food each morning.

Hope this helps, Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:47 am 

Mary,
Thanks for the great reply.
I wish everyone provided detail like that !
It saves alot of posts/replies going back and forth !
Kevin

Just one more question.
What is the ground flax supposed to provide when humans eat it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:23 pm 

Kevin,

Flax seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids (which are the EFA's that are so great in fish). American diets are out of balance, even those persons that are getting good quality EFA's typically have way too high a ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 EFAs. With the contamination of fish, getting omega-3 EFA's from fish has become risky, especially for people with health problems that are related to toxicity. So flax seeds are an excellent addition to your diet.

The American trend to 'no' fat or 'low' fat diets is very harmful to our bodies also. Good quality fats (omega-6 and omega-3) are essential to maintain the health and elasticity of our cells.

A good description on the nutritional benefits of flaxseeds from: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=81.

"Flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. They are a very good source of dietary fiber and manganese. They are also a good source of folate and vitamin B6 as well as the minerals magnesium, phosphorous, and copper. In addition, flax seeds are concentrated in lignan phytonutrients."

Mary

Post subject: Bald doggies
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:24 pm 

Let me share my experience here. My dog had the same symptoms and after exhausting nutritional options, I researched more and found that he had picked up mites. Research it and/or ask your vet to check as it can easily mimic allergies. An organic pesticide treatment did it for him and his hair is all grown back in and he's beautiful again!

It seems a seasonal allergy depresses his immune system and wham! :shock: the mites get him. This is the third year he's been through this and it's heartbreaking but we pull him through.

Just my two cents here in case you need it. Hope your dog is better!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:45 am 

Kathe,

What is the organic pesticide treatment that you used. This sounds like what is happening to our dog. Thanks for your help.

Scott

Post subject: Mite treatment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:01 pm 

First let me write a disclaimer and tell you this product is not already recommended for this use. Maybe they'll get someone cracking on getting it approved, because it's a much better alternative! Neither is Auntie Fuego recommended for fire ant killing, cornmeal isn't marked for fungus control, and orange oil isn't recommended for insecticides.

The product I used is sold under the name Bioganic. It is a combination of plant oils that includes clove and mints. You can get it at several stores in Texas and several independent garden centers carry it.

The way I applied it was to wash the dog and spray the area that I wanted to treat and rub it into the skin. After that I mixed up a spray solution daily and just sprayed him dry. I had a concentrate but the ready to spray solutioin might work just fine. Dilution rates will have to depend on what you find comfortable for the dog. The only things I found that made me hesitate were a few articles on the harmful effects of clove oil overdose, and of course the effect on the skin is to cause a burning sensation like Icy-Hot or Mentholatum. I don't think there's enough clove oil in the diluted product to cause harm.

Since the only other recommended treatments were synthetic pesticides I wouldn't want anywhere near me or my dog, I decided this was my best option.

I tried it on one area where the itching seemed the worst to start with and when that appeared to be effective, and I mean within half an hour, I spread it out. He reacted with confusion at first but didin't seem to be in pain - as I said, it does cause a burning type sensation. It never burned or severely irritated his skin except for a short-term reddening. I blew on him a little, like you would with any mint product, and then after 15 to 20 minutes he was much relieved and relaxed and his skin returned to normal color.

Just so you know, I did use this on my own body and had the same reaction and positive results. If you've had this dog on your lap or leaning against your body you may come up with the same problem. That's what happened to me, anyway.

Good luck and I truly hope this will help you. Poor doggie!
Kathe

Post subject: Bioganic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:22 pm 

Where can you get this product in the Fort Worth area or even better in the Weatherford area? And is it called something else the research I did came back as this was a brand name of products?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:18 am 

Ck with Willow Park Feed or Weatherford Gardens. They should have this product. Keep in mind that there are at least two brands of this type of product.