It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: florida help link
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:15 pm 

EVERYTHING IS ABOUT TEXAS.I CANNOT FIND THE ANY PLACE THAT SELLS THE SOIL AMENDMENTS YOU RECOMMEND.HOW ABOUT SOMETHING FOR THE TAMPA BAY AREA?JUDIB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:14 am 

Try asking your local feed store. Ask if they can order corn gluten meal, molasses, things of that nature. 10% vinegar, too.

I was quite surprised to find that even feed stores in Florida did not carry the aforementioned products. What the heck do they feed their animals? I went looking for horticultural corn meal because my grandmother (who previusly lived in Steinhatchee) had fire ants in the path to her burn pile (where she burned her trash) and also in the path to her compost pile. Steinhatchee is quite small, so I went into Cross City and even Gainesville and had no luck at all! I asked for horticultural cornmeal and the old guy looked at me like I was from Mars. :shock: Then I asked for just cornmeal and he told me to try Winn-Dixie or Publix! :lol: Enough of my rant, just give it a try. Maybe you will have better luck than I. There are always places to get things online, but shipping does add up!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:34 am 

I just did a quick Google search for "Tampa Bay" area + compost and came up with this:

John A. Starnes Jr. is an avid gardener and rosarian who studies, collects, cultivates and hybridizes roses for the diverse regions of Florida and Colorado. He can be reached at: THE.GARDEN-DOCTOR@worldnet.att.net

http://www.sptimes.com/News/042801/Home ... lar_.shtml This article is ok. It’s better than using insecticides, but planting host and feed plants for caterpillars is better than using Bt. Bt in standing water is fine for mosquito control, but probably not in the powder form.

Beware of some of his other practices, such as using Listerine, large amounts of Kirk’s Castile Soap, and aspirin for roses. He might be able to tell you where to get the things mentioned on the Dirt Doctor's show and on this website, though!

Do you get the radio show on WORL or do you listen online?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach