It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mange
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:52 pm 

I have a dog that possibly has mange. I need toknow what the organic treatment for mange is. Also she has arthritis what can I give her. She is an 11 year old Border Collie.

Post subject: Neem
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:16 pm 

Typically mange is caused by a mite that almost always lives under the skin of most dogs. They will get these mites from their mother shortly after they are born. I learned all about this when my Lab started to get mange around his eye.

Like most things, the dog will only start showing symptoms when their immune system is low, so you might try a change in diet that includes some dark leafy greens (those right in vitamin A - my Lab will only eat crunchy vegetables, so I use the base stems from fresh broccoli, but your mileage may vary here). You might also try a more expensive name brand dog food. I've never used any of the organic dog foods, but I've heard they are good.

I've also heard that the oil from a neem tree (usually just referred to as 'neem oil') will help get rid of mange but I've never tried this myself. You can try mixing neem with a little yellow dock if your dog is scratching.

The important thing here is to keep the dog as healthy as possible. Mange can get out of hand quickly, so I would also suggest you seek out a vet if it doesn't start to get better after 3 weeks or so. You definitely don't want it to get more widespread.

Good luck! If you try the neem, let us know how it worked.