It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: lizards/ gekos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:38 pm 

Up until late last year I had 6 screech owls living in a bird house high in a tree. Unfortunately the tree blew over in a storm and I had to have it removed. I have not put the bird house back up and now my yard has increased in the lizard/ geko population tremendously. Where as before, I only had 2 big brown lizards that patroled the yard. If I put the bird house back up, will the owls come back? And, any suggestions on how to keep the critters out of the house? I have noticed that the spider population is down significantly. It's fun seeing nature work the way it is supposed to, organically.

Post subject: geckos
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:28 am 

We get geckos in the house occasionally & have found that it's fairly easy to use a shoebox w/lid to catch them. They'll run in the box & you can close the lid & return them to the yard.

Patty

Post subject: Yard Critters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 am 

We love our lizards (anole), geckos, toads and garter snakes. They have brought the "bad" bugs under control and kept them at bay, while the "good" bugs seem to be happy and abundant. Although they may startle me once in a while (nothing like stepping into the shower and having a gecko run over your foot :shock: ) it's not so bad having them in the house to control the little bugs that can be so annoying, including those nasty little spiders that pack a punch! If only the cats didn't find them so appetizing... :roll:
Kathe :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:40 pm 

I guess if I had owls keeping the population of local predators away, I would shoo the owls away. You need the lizards and geckoes more than anything. Insect eating birds are okay but not owls.

I have cats which seem to keep the lizard and gecko population down. We used to see lots of them but since the cats, hardly any. Of course they bring us the occasional rat, so there is some benefit.