It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Army worm problem!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:22 am 

I know.... I am supose to be the organic EXPERT when it comes to hay and grazing pastures....lol, but i have found a problem that we can not come up with a solution for!
In the past 12 years I have had success with controlling army worms with just organic applications. What I was told years ago was that organic crops have a high sugar content that causes the army worm to bloat and die. It was worked very well until now!
I have a Dealer in the Huston area that is having problems on just 10 acres of his 1,000 acre ranch. The worms are wiping out just this one field, that is in the middle of his ranch. All the other fields are fine with minimal damage, (the worms get a belly full and die). This field is Jiggs Bramuda, Bahia, and water grass and the worms are eatting all the grasses. He even has gone out and applied a gallon of molasses and garlic spray and the worms are getting worse! We are at a loss as to why this is happening in just one field, and what we can do to stop it.
Any help will be appreciated
Brad

Post subject: army worm problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:40 pm 

Hi Brad -
I'm a complete novice when it comes to army worms - I don't farm for a living, but I have coastal pastures for my horses. I've seen a few around here, but I have guinea fowl and they really help keep the bug population down. Perhaps that's my reason here.

Also I looked them up and came across the most interesting article on "Army Worm Wine"! Betcha don't have time to harvest the worms, however.

The past few years I've had a bumper crop of grasshoppers - the guinea fowl really help here, too.

I'll be interested in others posts on army worms and organic eradication.