It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Padron Peppers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:33 pm 

I am growing Padron peppers from seed. I understand they do very well in Texas and I'm addicted to these little guys after a friend gave me a sack of them.

My problem is, starting these from seed is too slow! Does anyone know of a produce stand or store where I can buy these by the pound? I'm itching to fry up some more. I need to feed my appetite for them until my plants start producing.

If anyone is curious what I'm talking about, Padron peppers, or sometimes pimientos de padron are little green peppers from Spain. You can eat them raw or fry them in olive oil and salt them. Only every tenth one is really hot. The others are mild. They are flavorful and taste great chased with beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:44 am 

They sound great, thanks for letting us all know about them. I thought I knew my peppers but I have never heard of these. Our favorite is the Hatch New Mexican chilis, which are available in the stores right now. I have never seen Padron chilis in the store here, but you might try asking the produce manager at Whole Foods if he can get some for you. Let us know if you find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:40 am 

Yes, he was able to get them. For $20 a pound! I think I'm going to have to grow my own next year. My friend that grows them says he has trouble eating all of the ones his 10 plants product and ends up giving several pounds a month to a food bank, so I know they grow well in Texas.

At $20 a pound, maybe I'll sell some of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:44 am 

As Howard always says...sounds like a financial opportunity here! :lol: :lol:

Kathe