It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lantana buds turn brown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:19 pm 

My lantana buds turn brown and dry up. Gets lots of sun and careful about overwatering. Feed with Garrett Juice 1x a week. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:38 pm 

I have the same problem, but I just planted the lantana about two weeks ago. My thoughts were that it was transplant shock. I got it an organic nursery: Texas Organic Nursery and Christmas Tree Farm located in Mexia. (I purchased it while visiting friends who live in Donie).

The leaves on my lantana seem to be doing all right. (The lantana to which I refer is the kind with yellow flowers). What time of day do you apply the Garrett Juice? When did you plant it? How much sun does it get?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:33 pm 

Interesting. I too planted some lantana in a raised pot in the front (faces North, but plenty of Sun.) Leaves are fine, but the buds do not seem to flourish. Grew lantana before and it wasn't a problem. Just didn't come back the following Spring. However, I think my problem might be grasshoppers eating the flowers? Not sure, but I have my suspicions....

Post subject: Hot Soil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:16 am 

Just occured to me that being our air & soil temps are so very hot right now, the plants may be suffering more than normal. It makes it more difficult for them to eat, as it does all of us. That would be my bet. I've moved my potted plants to where they get no more than morning sun right now and it helped a lot. The shade keeps the soil temp bearable and they do a lot better. The upshot here is that I suggest you try moving them to a place where they get shade half the day until our day & night temps go down a few degrees. The roots need a break!

Full sun is only for the most hardy plants right now. Everything else is just struggling through these "dog days"...except, strangely enough, my chives, which are growing like gangbusters and blooming too. They've been in the same pot for years and been through high heat and deep cold, so they're well established and I'm sure that helps.

Why the heck are ya'll planting stuff in August anyway? :shock: It's too danged hot out there! (Says she who will be out planting a fall garden next weekend..... :roll: :lol: Just waiting for that little hint that the break is coming, don't ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:39 am 

Nadine wrote:
I have the same problem, but I just planted the lantana about two weeks ago. My thoughts were that it was transplant shock. I got it an organic nursery: Texas Organic Nursery and Christmas Tree Farm located in Mexia. (I purchased it while visiting friends who live in Donie).

The leaves on my lantana seem to be doing all right. (The lantana to which I refer is the kind with yellow flowers). What time of day do you apply the Garrett Juice? When did you plant it? How much sun does it get?

I planted the yellow lantana in early June. Got it at Calloway's. I apply GarrettJuice in the morning before sun hits them (7a.m. ish). It is getting 8-9 hours of sun. thanks for your imput.

Post subject: Re: Hot Soil
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:45 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Just occured to me that being our air & soil temps are so very hot right now, the plants may be suffering more than normal. It makes it more difficult for them to eat, as it does all of us. That would be my bet. I've moved my potted plants to where they get no more than morning sun right now and it helped a lot. The shade keeps the soil temp bearable and they do a lot better. The upshot here is that I suggest you try moving them to a place where they get shade half the day until our day & night temps go down a few degrees. The roots need a break!

Full sun is only for the most hardy plants right now. Everything else is just struggling through these "dog days"...except, strangely enough, my chives, which are growing like gangbusters and blooming too. They've been in the same pot for years and been through high heat and deep cold, so they're well established and I'm sure that helps.

reply: I planted the lantana in early June. You're right - i hardly get outside in August much less plant anything. But i will move them where they won't get the afternoon sun. The other pots with Candle tree, cannas, banana tree and sweetpotato vines are doing ok with the full sun, just have to water them each morning.

Why the heck are ya'll planting stuff in August anyway? :shock: It's too danged hot out there! (Says she who will be out planting a fall garden next weekend..... :roll: :lol: Just waiting for that little hint that the break is coming, don't ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 am 

Naaahhhhh!! It isn't too hot to plant stuff - you just got to get up early and get it done before the smell of burning skin begins. ha ha.

No really, soaking your plants in a seaweed solution, soaking the hole in the same, doing your soil prep work - lots of compost, lava sand, etc., and mulch the heck out of it and then water in deeply - you should be fine. They would be much happier in the ground where the roots can BREATHE than in those darn plastic black hot baking pots!

Now fall veggies, they may want a bit of afternoon shade, yes. But we got those out, too!

Post subject: TOO HOT TO PLANT!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:41 pm 

Yeah, I never plant anything ever without watering it in with seaweed, and foliar once a week with it sure does seem to be helping my plants cope with this merciless heat. As I said, I'll bet putting my fall garden in soon too. Just having a bit of fun with you all! :lol: :wink: :D :shock: But darn, it is SOOOOOOO hot out there! I hope we really DO get those thunderstorms they predict for next week!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 pm 

HOORAY!
Here, in Carrollton, we got about 2.25" of rain. Glory be! The whole yard looks happy!
The rabbits who have taken a liking to our yard seem to like the rain water better than the tap water that I had been putting out for them. Go figure! :lol:
They sure are cut little "fellas". Yes, they eat my plants, but they are too cute to get mad at. Lucky for them they have not touched my ginko. When they get too big to be cute, well, let's just say I refer to them both using a name wich is a variation of "Stewart"! :shock: :lol:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach