It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 pm 

I have 3 questions about compost

1)
I would like to start 'brewing' and aerating my own compost tea. The more I research and read the more it sounds like you get better quality tea from quality compost. Makes sense. So... any recommendations of what kind to purchase ? I don't have any homemade compost ready at the moment.

2)
Also, is the bulk compost (i.e. like Living Earth brand) good compost ?
I've gotten some in the past, and it appeared a little suspect. Kind of sterile in a way and almost minimally ready as compost.
Any opinions on bulk compost ?

3)
Are there any 'alive' microbes etc in compost that you purchase ?
I really would like to purchase compost in bulk but wonder about the quality.

thanks in advance....
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:34 pm 

I'm very new at this but I started making ACT in the spring. Since I didn't have mature compost yet I experimented with bagged products and everything I tried seemed to work fairly well. The combination that seemed to work really well for me is the following ( brewed in 5 gallon bucket with aquarium air pump): approx 2 quarts composted cow manure(black kow brand), approx 2 quarts cotton burr compost (Back to Nature brand), 2 quarts natures blend with alfalfa humate (Back to Nature Brand), and some type of seaweed/fish oil (whatever I can find). I generally add about 1/2 cup liquid molasses but have also used dried molasses. I generally add more molasses on the 2nd day a few hours before using. I have read a LOT of info on this and everyone does it differently. In general, what I understand is that if you add some decent nutrients (compost), food (molasses) and air its kinda hard to go wrong. I have read several times not to use the brew on plants if it smells rancid or sour-but the aeration pretty much eliminates this. ACT is surprisingly easy (and sorta fun) to make and works really well. Experiment with different dilution rates;I have put it on straight without burning plants-but seems to help no more than being diluted. http://dchall.home.texas.net/organic/teamaker/ is a link to a Very good and easy tea maker. If interested see my post for more details on experiments I have done with tea application. .http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6864
Hope this helps and like I said, I'm very new at this so take my advice lightly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:02 am 

Thanks for the reply DD.
It's funny, but i've read ALOT on this as well (seems like weeks) trying to find the best ways and/or the best ingredients. I learn something new from every thread. For example - I never considered adding multiple types of compost ! Yes, I found the tea maker instructions and plan on building soon. My goal is to have a yard so green and different that the neighbors really notice that my yard is different. I also like the posts that mention just doing the simple things and not spending every weekend amending different things. I like things simple.

Research so far is leading to feeding the soil with compost, occasional rocks powders, and protein fertilzer, then using compost tea to further that. I've done some of this in the past, but I am trying to find the 'best' or 'better' way to do things based on what you guys have recommended.

That said, what I still need to know is anyone's knowledge on the bulk materials that you get from Living Earth Tech, or Soil Building Systems.
I have used their products alot in the past. The two products I have reservations about are their 1) compost and 2) mulches.

Are these products any good, and do they contain 'alive' microbes' ??

They both repel water (I've lost plants due to this) and the compost just looked like lower quality.

Again, I enjoy receiving all kinds of info/comments.
If anyone has any comments on bulk material, let me know. thanks !

Post subject: Compost
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:39 am 

Some folks use Earthworm castings from Rabbit Hill Farm near Corsicana for the compost.

Pat