It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:13 am 

Well now isn't that special. We now have turffalo for the beefalo to graze upon. Did the tangelo start all this? :lol:

http://www.texastech.edu/news/CurrentNe ... hp?id=1438

http://turffalo.com/

http://www.wtgcsa.org/newsletters/june_2004.htm

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:51 pm 

I got to see two yards and a nursery with Turffalo yesterday. Everything they say seems to be pretty accurate. It is very green. The plugs in the nursery were very long grass. I'd guess it was 4 inches high and looked very snarly in the flat. I suspect the reason for the snarly look was the fact that they were all plugs and had not grown like that. Considering they were plugs and not touching each other, the density was amazing. I thought it was a solid flat until they pulled out a plug.

At the first yard the grass was mowed down to 3/4 inch high. Generally the grass looked very good, green, and dense at that height. It is very hard to prepare a soil for such a low mowing height so someone took a LOT of care putting that turf in. It looked like a putting green for flatness but not for density. It was dense enough but not that dense. Their neighbor had bermuda that looked a LOT worse than the Turffalo. At the border it did not appear that either grass was trying to move in on the other one.

At the second yard the grass was mowed to almost 3 inches - or at least it had grown up to almost 3 inches. It was a frat house, the one in the pictures on the turffalo.com website. School is out so all the frat houses are abandoned. Who knows when it was mowed last. But it looked good at that height, too, green and dense. Both yards had bare spots. I don't know if they spot treated weeds or what the problem was. The bare spots at the frat house were much (Much) worse in the shade of an oak tree.

One thing I noticed about the grass was the presence of seed heads at all heights. The seed heads are light tan in color, about 1/4 inch long, and grow at the end of a stalk. Unlike bermuda and other grasses with seed heads, the stalk did not grow up high above the rest of the grass. It stayed about the same height as the grass blades. But the tan seed heads were easily spotted in all mowing lengths.

I also noticed something else. I'm allergic to many grasses and this one is no different. I laid down on the grass at the frat house to get a close up photo of the seed heads. I noticed when I was driving away that my arms were very itchy. So if you're allergic to grasses and considering this one, check out that aspect. I would not want to inhale any of this while mowing.

I should add that I have never seen a buffalo grass lawn that I thought looked presentable. These were a very pleasant surprise. I have pictures if someone wants more realistic ones than the brochures have.

Post subject: Turffalo grass
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:50 pm 

I spent a lot of money putting out buffalo sod several years ago and it has not done well at all due to too much shade. They're saying the Shadow Turf will thrive in the shade. I want a pretty green yard so would I be disappointed in this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:27 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
I got to see two yards and a nursery with Turffalo yesterday. Everything they say seems to be pretty accurate. It is very green. The plugs in the nursery were very long grass. I'd guess it was 4 inches high and looked very snarly in the flat. I suspect the reason for the snarly look was the fact that they were all plugs and had not grown like that. Considering they were plugs and not touching each other, the density was amazing. I thought it was a solid flat until they pulled out a plug...
...I should add that I have never seen a buffalo grass lawn that I thought looked presentable. These were a very pleasant surprise. I have pictures if someone wants more realistic ones than the brochures have.

Great! Thank you very much for the report! :)

This website and the discussion board ROCKS! 8)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:33 pm 

I was at Redenta's yesterday and saw some of this for the first time. It is not a bad-looking grass. I prefer St. Augustine, but Turffalo does require less sun, according to the fact sheet.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject: Turffalo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:55 pm 

Half of our front lawn was a mess of Bermuda, St. Augusting, and weeds. We decided to give the Tech Turf a try since we live in West Texas and have restrictive watering ordinances. Any other buffalo hybrids I had seen were a sickly gray green color, but this one looked like a nice deep green color. The plugs were planted in early July. They DO NOT cover in 30-40 days as advertised - at least in our yard. It's now late September and we have about 50% coverage. Part of the problem was that the weeds grew faster than the grass did. I've put in about 45 hours of hand weeding and am about 40% finished with the chore! I think when it fully covers it will be really beautiful. BUT I wouldn't do any of the rest of the yard until they have sod!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 pm 

What did you do to prepare the site? Bed prep makes quite a difference in growth rates! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:58 pm 

We are considering this for part of our yard. We inherited a neglected mess when we moved into this house 2 years ago. We spoke with a guy at Marshall Grain last week who's putting this in at his house and he said the hardest part is killing everything that's currently growing and scraping it off. We'll get 1 flat of the plugs and try it in a small area to see if we like it before committing to the whole yard.

Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 pm 

Hi Nadine,

We prepared the soil EXACTLY as was suggested in the Tech Turf info on their web site. Since my last post winter set in and everything stopped growing - grass and weeds. But now that it's spring I've been out hand weeding again. I pulled out countless bags of various weeds plus the weeds from last fall are starting to sprout again! I'm hoping when the soil warms up sufficiently the Tech Turf will start spreading and choke out the weeds. I have to have hope, right? From my personal and painful experience, I would NOT plant plugs again. I want to install more Tech Turf but I won't do it until they offer sod.