It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

Guys,

Here is a first time post from a organic newbie. I just started goat ranching this spring on 25 acres NE of DFW. I currently have 23 goats. So far they have only grazed/browsed on about 6 of the 25 acres. I am dividing the 25 acres into 4 equal parts so I can rotate them (just need to finish a little more fence so I can move them to the next pasture).

I have read thru many of the ranching postings in this forum but still had a few questions.

1. The land is native pasture but I would like to plow up and plant grass/legumes at the appropriate time on 1-2/acres in each quandrant so I can prepare for a harsh winter and avoid buying expensive hay. What grasses and legumes are organic folks recommending for winter (for that matter - summer too) for goats?

2. I have a tractor and implements (no sprayer) but would like to start treating my pasture with an organic treatment. I have seem many post and discussions on things to do and not to do (molasses, compost, etc). What is the cheapest, reliable and simplest approach to improving your pasture. Again, I'm raising goats - they like weeds - I have a sea of untouched native grass (of some kind). Any recommendations on sprayers for a tractor?

3. Unfortunately, I feel like I do not have enough browsing material for the goats. Is there any fast growing junk bush/tree that goats would like? Is there such a thing as a brush seed and would it work in the DFW area?

Thanks for any info,
Shawn

Post subject: Goats
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:29 am 

For what it's worth, a neighbor of ours about 3 miles down the road has goats. He overstocks whether it's cows or goats. So the goats have eaten all the brush as well as the grass.

We will be looking for about 10 goats to buy in 3-4 weeks--when the fence is finished.

Good luck, Pat Akin

Post subject: pasture, goats...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 am 

swtucker-

I wish we lived on our 20 ac b/c I'd get goats, too. I envy you! I'll try to answer your ? on spraying, etc. Hopefully Robert 'the Baird' will see & reply.

HG has said a gallon of liq molasses should do for @ acre. I don't know the dilution rate, & since you don't have a sprayer I think the best thing would be to rent one for your tractor. Maybe where you rent could tell you how much H2O to add to the gallon in order to cover an acre. HG has said the molasses will get you started organically. Feeds the microbes. Then you can fertilize w/corn meal or whatever organic fetilizer your budget will allow.

You could do the 'search' feature in the 'farming' section here for "pasture fertilization" & have a wealth of info.

Good luck-

Patty