It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:28 pm 

Time to bring this topic to the forefront again! It is too much fun to forget about

You know you are serious (wacky) about composting when you insist that your husband put the mouse he shot in the back yard in to the compost pile.

The other day, while returning home, I saw a dove that had been hit and was still alive, but it's wing was the only thing moving. Two grackles were poking at the poor thing. I pulled up in front of it then backed over it to end it's misery. Then what did I do? I got a bucket, and with a shovel and a metal dustpan, I scraped the lifeless shell into the bucket. After making a hole in the pile, I dumped the carcass and covered it with the compost from the hole. I turned the pile a week later; the carcass had completely decomposed.

My husband is good about adding nitrogen to the compost pile whenever it is convenient for him to do so! You know why you have to pee so much when you drink beer? It doesn't have to stop to change colors.
:lol:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:39 pm 

Oh! You also know you are serious about composting when you take home leftovers from a restaurant that you do not intend to eat. I get some interesting reactions when I scrape the entire contents of the plate, salad bowl and whatever else is on the table. Especially when it involves everyone else's plate, too!

I admit that I usually refrain from doing this at upscale restaurants... Besides, the server usualy gathers the food for take-out...

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:37 pm 

When you start enjoying all the icks as such animal manure, bugs, and dead animals.

Animal manure becames an important topic.

You do a presentation about cow and rabbit manure and their many great usage in the gardens.

You show people rabbit pellits at the trade show events and at your gardens.

You collect animal manure to put them in the pile.

You can discuss with other organic gardeners about animal poop all day.

You have no shame of saying the word "poop" in front of people.

When you put animal manure all over your property and be proud of it.

Wishing and encouraging your families and friends to do the same.

You see a dead rat on a sidewalk and want to put it in the pile.

You are disappointed that you did not put the dead rat in the pile.

Watching a dead bird eating by maggots and ants.

You have taken a picture of a dead bird eating by maggots and ants.

You show families a picture that you have taken of a dead bird eating by maggots and ants to see they would be grossed out.

You show people in a presentation or trade show event a picture that you have taken of a dead bird eating by maggots and ants and educate about it.

Wishing you have taken a picture of a dead bird eating by maggots and ants to see families would be grossed out (meaning I have NOT!!)

You killed bugs so you can put them in pile.

One man's trash; another man's treasure.

Tree Dude