It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grape Jelly Recipe
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

I have a friend that has loads and loads of Mustang Grapes on his land and he does not want them.

I am looking for a recipe for a homemade jelly using these grapes. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you know of a recipe?

I am looking forward to trying this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:07 am 

I haven't made jelly with these grapes but I have made wine. The grapes are very tart and I assume you would need lots of sugar to make them taste good.

Please be careful handling these grapes. They will burn your skin. I think it is the tanin in the skins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:54 am 

I picked about 2.5 gallons of grapes from my friends farm a few days ago and made 6 jars of jelly.

Since I grew up in the woods, you might say, I have a natural resistance most plant problems such a poison vines (poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac, etc.) as well as mosquitoes, so the tannins do not bother me, only the stains that berries such as dewberries, blueberries, grapes, etc., etc. leave. :wink: :wink:

Actually, the garlic and peppers when I make garlic/pepper tea make me more irritated but my aloe vera makes a quick cure for that.

The jelly I made was quite sweet as I had followed one of the few recipes that I had found on the internet. But, as I continue to make jelly, I am sure that I can hone the recipe to my own taste, i.e. reducing the sugar, adding just a bit more pectin for a thicker jelly, etc.

I had always heard and experienced tart mustang and muscadine grapes but I have found that if you just put them on the counter and let them sit a few days that they will get alot sweeter.

I am going to try and make some dewberry jelly next spring as I have found several spots for picking wilds ones locally that few are willing to bear the mosquitoes to get to. :D

Post subject: Jelly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 pm 

I'll be interested to learn how the dewberry jelly turns out. I usually freeze my berries, but this spring I needed to clear out my freezer and canned the dewberries. I tried to make jelly out of some, but didn't have luck with them setting.

Do you have a recipe? I just used a recipe for some other berry. Maybe that's my problem.

pakin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:57 am 

I used a recipe that I found on the internet. It turned out too sweet and not quite enough pectin but at least it is a start.

Next time I will just reduce the sugar and add another half box pectin or maybe even another whole box. Sooner or later I will get it down right.

The recipe was as follows:

Remove stems of approximately 4-5 pounds of mustang grapes. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a heat in large pot and simmer 5 minutes. Sieve to remove seeds and hulls.

Jelly
6 cups prepared juice
1 box powdered fruit pectin
In large pot, bring to a full boil, the grape juice and pectin.
Add 7 cups of sugar
Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down
Boil 1 minute
Remove from heat
Pour into jars, put on lids and rings.
Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath

I did not do the last line but I don't think that affected it that much.
Next time I will add another box of pectin and cut down on the sugar, but for right now, the jelly is pretty good for a first timer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:47 pm 

A friend and I had this thread on the screen as we made jelly from mustang grapes this week. I haven't picked up my jars since we did process them and left them to sit, but I'll offer these observations to start:

We ended up making a batch with a recipe closer to the concord recipe recipe in the pectin box, after reading that the six cups juice and seven cups sugar was too sweet. My friend thinks that was the wrong amount for a batch, anyway (per box of pectin). The taste from the pan was a sweet/tart wonderful flavor, but I can't tell you the consistency yet, or how a mouthful on toast will work.

I'll post more information about our recipe and if I can get some more grapes to make another batch. (The tree with grape vines also has poison ivy and I got into it. scratch scratch)

A note to those wanting to pick these grapes--their acidity will irritate the hands. I spent about 90 minutes picking on a ladder with a bucket and the rest of the day and into the evening the skin was irritated. When I juiced them I chose not to pick off the sticks and stems, because my hands were too irritated for more contact. I washed several times with a gentle soap, but now that I know, I will probably wear gloves.

The second day my friend and I both picked grapes, but used a ground tarp and clipped and knocked down most of the grapes, sparing our hands. My friend uses a steam juicer and thought he'd try making some jam also so on Tuesday evening he handled the fruit to remove the twigs and stems. It's Friday now and he tells me the skin on his hands is still tender from the grapes.

Northwesterner

Post subject: Re: Grape Jelly Recipe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:22 am 

I made Mustang grape jelly again this year. We didn't find as many berries on our usual vine, and we picked them a little earlier than before. It's still a good jelly, with a tangy-and-sweet taste, but the color isn't as vivid as when using more overripe grapes in the mix. My son liked last year's batch better, because it was a stronger flavor.