It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

I planted a young peach tree this January and it now has 12 peaches on it.

The diameter of the tree is quite thin (maybe an inch) and it is often quite windblown, causing it to lean.

While I understand that Howard the DirtDoctor recommends against staking trees, is this also true for fruit trees?

Is it prudent to remove any of the fruit early, before riping to 'lighten' it's load?

I am fertilizing regularly (using both fish emulsion and then also Garrett Juice, applying alternately every month or so)

Also, how am I to identify when the fruit is ripe? It is a RED HAVEN variety.

Thank you for any recommendations you can make so I can send this tree off with a good start in life!

---the Grower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:13 pm 

I would have discarded the peaches when they were small to allow the tree to use the energy for root and branch development. It may be tough to do that now because you can almost taste them.
The fruit is ripe when it gives to the pressure of your finger.
Tony M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:39 pm 

Okay, it now has ten (10) peaches on it.

I checked them with your recommended 'pressure' test and two passed. YUMMY, they were DELICIOUS, still warm from the sun and they put all that I've had from the produce section to shame. (Now that I know they are already in season, I will check them daily as I am sure to have competition from the birdees around here!)

I will let these ripen out and then in gratefulness, will continue faithful fertilizing and watering throughtout the year.

This is a good tree. I am photographing it's progress and will share them with other interested growers in the future. Thank you for any additional advice on peach trees that you can extend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:03 pm 

It is important to continue to water and fertilize even after the fruit has been picked. Many problems with peaches can be traced back to lack of moisture and nutrition the previous year. As an example, I have a lot of twins this year because of the drought last year.
Tony M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:40 am 

Thank you Tony, I will do that.

If you think of anything else regarding growing peach trees, please pass it along.

Howard did say this past Sunday, when pressed, that though he would not do it, it is okay to stake a tree to straighten it ( it's lean is like this / maybe even alittle more!), but for NO MORE than one growing season. I may have to resort to that with this one, but will wait a month or so until after the fruit is removed to see how it does without the load.

Also, this board is useful as I found comments on fig trees and the importance of watering, even daily, through the growing season. I am doing that now as there are many little figs sprouting up and I don't want them falling off due to lack of water.

It is a real joy to see productive plants and eat the fresh fruit. I would like to know of a good fruit tree supplier as I had a hard time finding what I did plant and I want to put in MORE!

Thanks again Tony and to the other contributors on these boards.--Grower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:29 am 

The big producer in Texas is Womack nursery in DeLeon, TX. I would check with the local nurseries this spring and if you can't find what you want call Womack. They don't have an extensive web site but they will send you a free catalog.
Tony M