It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have a lot of native tree chippings left over from pruning jobs that we give away. We use this rough grade mulch on construction sites. It can also be used for erosion control, where aesthetics is not an issue. We have given away dump truck loads to Love Field, Twelve Hills Nature Center, and homeowners have come with pick ups and trailers, and helped themselves. Would you please let Howard know that we have this available for free to anyone who wants it? I heard a caller last weekend wanting erosion control, I think he was from west of Ft. Worth. Howard mentioned shredded tree mulch as a control method, I know it’s a long way for some to drive, but we have a small mountain of it to give away. It’s at our yard site on Maple Avenue near Mockingbird Ln, and listeners would have to call our office to make arrangements to be let in the locked gate.

Thank you,

Patrick Sinnott
Marketing Manager
Preservation Tree Services, Inc.
(214) 528-2266

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:23 pm 

Do an Internet search on "ramial chipped wood." You might be able to sell that stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:18 pm 

That link is very interesting & is filled with a lot of good info. Thanks, KZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:19 pm 

I agree with KHWOZ-thanks for the link. I recently found out that all the trimmings from the crew clearing power line right of ways in my area were shredding them into trucks and dumping them where ever no one would notice as the landfill is very far away. I talked them into bringing them all too me. I ended up with 15+ truck loads of finely shredded tree material-mostly hardwood with some cedar and pine. I spread at least a truck load on my 7500 sq ft garden early this spring and have already been seeing really awesome results. I'll be showing this link to some of the people who have been telling me I made a big mistake and some even predicted I would loose most of my veggies due to the nitrogen being removed from the soil as the material decomposed. Guess I will have a use for that mountain of the other 14 loads after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:05 pm 

I'm not sure why someone would tell you that spreading mulch out over your garden would rob it of nitrogen. It is only when we till or turn in green material that it can become an issue.

Mulching over your veggie bed is excellent! It helps keep the soil cooler and therefore you should be watering less and the weed control should be awesome! You made a smart move for sure. Just let it continue to decompose and when it is time to plant fall veggies, just scrape off what is still too large and not composted, till the rest in, and then add more mulch to the top.

I do this with annual beds all the time - saves buying compost each season.