It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:30 pm 

This may be a bid ..duh..for everyone but I had an interesting experience last week.

First, I will say that my lawn/house is about 4 years old. When the house was first built, the builder put down some average quality St. Augustine which looked fine at the time. As time went on though, dallisgrass invaded our yard, or it might have been there all along due to the quality of grass that we have.

So, with dallisgrass at about 25% of our whole yard, I wanted to try and resod the yard because I was always told that dallisgrass could only be gotten rid of by pulling it out of the ground.

With all of that said, I contacted a recommended sod farmer in the area and asked him what he recommended and what the cost might be to resod the yard. The next day, he and his wife came over and inspected my yard.

My front yard is not so bad as I have been pulling the dallisgrass for sometime and seem to have control of it there, but, the backyard is a whole different story. It looks like a jungle.

When the sod farmer and his wife walked into my backyard, they both got big grins on their faces and the guy started chuckling. Then, he turned to me and seriously said "STOP PUTTING NITROGEN ON THIS YARD!". I was suprised to hear him say that although he was exactly right, I have been keeping the nitrogen coming to the yard about every 3 months.

He said the main thing that the nitrogen was doing was feeding the dallisgrass to the point at which it was now. After that, he said that he was going to lose a few thousand bucks for telling me, but, he said what he recommended was to stop using any fertilizer at all, do not water very much and mow, at least, every three days. Anything I had to do to keep the dallisgrass from getting anywhere close to seeding. He said that he will check back in 3 months and he would wager that the yard would have beautiful improvements in that amount of time, but, if I still wanted to resod at that time, he would do it and make his money.

When he and his wife got ready to leave, I thanked him for his honesty and not trying to take advantage of me, because he could have.

Anyway, I thought it was quite interesting that he said to stop using the nitrogen, it kind of caught me off guard.

Any thoughts anyone? Was he right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 pm 

Ok, I have found some vendors for horticultural corn meal but not alfalfa meal.

Any suggestions on where I can find alfalfa meal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 pm 

Clute is about 60 miles South of Houston, about 10 miles from the gulf and about 30 miles from Galveston.

I have searched this area for many of the things listed on this forum but nobody carries any of these things, locally.

Even the many ag and feed stores do not carry any of it. The only thing that they say they can even get is cgm and they would have to order that.

So, I will probably end up having to order everything, including the alfalfa meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:08 pm 

There is a natural products distributor that is just starting up in the Houston area. Hopefully in the near future you can get what you need. Ck. the info. below & let the stores in your area know what you want (& where to get it if they don't know).

http://www.tejasorganics.com

Tejas Organics
603 Leisure Lane Ste. 300
Friendswood, TX 77546
281-648-3364 or mobile 832-567-6700

A plug for our home based business (Wildflower Soaps), Tejas will be carrying our products along with many other fine retailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:28 pm 

I used to have a sticky for 'where to buy organic materials in (your Texas town here)." The Dirt Doctor folks thought these message baskets should be on the more general forums, so they moved them. Look for Houston on the other forums near the top of the list.