It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:41 pm 

I'm having an old and too large driveway replaced as part of a remodel to my house. While in Austin last weekend I saw a house with pavers for a drive that had regular voids in them which were planted with turf or some similar looking vegetation.

These were square in shape, presumably at least 4" thick and about 12-16" on each side. There was a grid pattern of 16, or 20 or so square voids in each paver. As I mentioned before, the voids were planted with turf. If you got low enough to the ground the drive appeared to be all grass.

Any one familiar with what I'm trying to describe? If so do you know of a source?

Thanks,

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:55 pm 

Hey Stuart-
I know exactly what you are talking about but I haven't seen them sold. Friends of mine in Mexice had them on their driveway and there is a Corporation in Plano that is using them.
I did see a product a while back that did the same thing, do a search on grasspave2 and take a look.
You might also search for modular concrete trufstone pavers.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:56 pm 

Thanks Tony! I just checked out the grasspave2 site including the video stream, very cool. I doubt the included fertilizer is organic, but the overall a very nice alternative to concrete or asphalt. I wonder how much it costs?

A Google on turfstone pavers pointed me to a product by a company called Belgard which looks exactly like what I had seen in Austin.

I'll be contacting both companies for more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 am 

Stuart-
I just spoke with a landscaping friend of mine and the local rep for Belgard is Bob Strief with Precision Pavers.
You might also try Pavestone. They have a plant in Grapevine which would cut down on the transportation expense if they make them.
Tony