It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oak versus Bamboo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:00 pm 

My neighbor's Bamboo has encroached into my yard and I'm in the process of eradicating it and will then install a rhizome barrier. I have a signifcant problem though cocerning a mature Oak. The Oak I'm speaking of is about 20-25 feet high and has a trunk 14-16" in diameter. This tree is right up against the same property line the Bamboo is crossing, and surrounded by the Bamboo on one side. If I trench the 24-30" deep along the property line I face one or both of the these situations:

Carefully trenching up to the trunk on either side and installing the barrier to the tree knowing full well the Bamboo will find the tiny gaps between the trunk and the barrier material.

Continuing the barrier, unbrokend, just inside the neighbors property past the tree. This of course will sever every Oak root along the barrier, risking the tree.

Can anyone offer a third choice? My gut is to go with the first choice and be faced with a ongoing battle with the Bamboo in the area of the Oak trunk, but I'd welcome a creative alternative.

Thanks,

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:41 am 

The short piece of the ditch that needs to be dug around the trunk of the tree can be done with the airspade and not hurt the roots at all. That part of the barrier could be done with coarse crushed limestone rock. It won't completely stop the bamboo but will significantly reduce it without hurting the tree. The trenches running directly toward the tree on both sides will damage the roots very little even with a solid barrier added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 am 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can any one suggest a local source for Rhizome Barrier?