It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bamboo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:59 pm 

Years ago we moved into a house that had bamboo bordering the backyard. I'm not crazy about anything that invasive, and my neighbors are, of course, even less enthusiastic. Is there any way to contain it besides digging up every root?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:38 am 

I just clicked on "Dirt Doctor" then went to "dirt doctor library" clicked on "B" then found "bamboo" and here's what Howard has to say about controlling bamboo:

Bamboo

To control bamboo cut the shoots down in the spring then anytime of the year and use a sharpshooter or axe to sever the shallowly growing rhizomes. The plant will die out in those areas.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:29 am 

I have a situation in which my neighbor has planted Bamboo along the property line we share. The Bamboo of course has no concern for property lines. The beds along that line are inhabited with Red Tip Photinias, which will soon be removed to make room for natives. While I'm at it, what are the most effective steps can I take to prevent the Bamboo from encroaching?

I understand the process of mowing and sharp shooters etc for keeping it in check, but I worry about dealing with shoots popping up amidst newly planted natives. One thought is to leave an unplanted buffer between the natives and the property line for maintenance, but that won't be a sure thing. In addition I'm not thrilled about doing so and sacrificing good planting area.

Out of curiosity, are there cities in the Metroplex who are creating ordinances against the use of this invasive plant along property lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 pm 

Plant the less-invasive varieties or keep them in pots.

Go to www.bamboosourcery.com for variety info.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:23 pm 

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't want the bamboo, it's my neighbor's that is encroaching on my property. :(

Had I known he was planting the stuff in time I might have convinced him to use non-invasive varieties. :wink:

I'm now in the very laborious process of eradicating it. I've removed a row of Photinias that the bamboo had inflitrated heavily. Now I'm chopping up the rhizomes and removing them. Next will be a 24-30" deep trench and a barrier out of 30 mil plastic or similar. Then I'll be on guard for the next 2-3 years watching for shoots rearing their ugly heads!

There outta be a law against or a permit required for that stuff! :evil: