It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Chickens and Eggs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:48 pm 

I have some young ckickens that have just started laying. The eggs are really good. I like to eat them boiled from time to time. My problem is that when the eggs are boiled and I start to peal off the shell, the shell sticks to the white of the egg and takes a lot of the white off of the egg. Is there anything I need to do to solve this problem or just learn to live with it. I could live with it because the eggs are so much better than store bought, but if there is something I can do it would make life much better. Thanks for any information.

Post subject: Re: Chickens and Eggs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

wanttoknow wrote:
I have some young ckickens that have just started laying. The eggs are really good. I like to eat them boiled from time to time. My problem is that when the eggs are boiled and I start to peal off the shell, the shell sticks to the white of the egg and takes a lot of the white off of the egg. Is there anything I need to do to solve this problem or just learn to live with it.

I have found that if I run hard boiled eggs under cold water as I'm peeling them, they peel much easier....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:45 am 

This might all be in my head but the shell seems to peel better if I boil the eggs in salty water. A tip for better boiled eggs: cover eggs with water and bring to boil, turn off heat and leave sit for 15 min. Some people cover pot especially with gas heat (electric keeps cooking longer than gas). Eggs will be done perfectly & no funky blue/black around the yolk.

Post subject: hard boiled eggs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:06 pm 

Your problem is very common to fresh eggs. When I give our eggs to friends I tell them not to use them for hard boiled unless they wait a few weeks. Here's what I do:
One layer of eggs in a saucepan, just enough cold water to cover, bring to boil, shut off heat and let sit covered for about 15-18 minutes, depending on the size. Try adding some vinegar to the water also.
Roll the cooled egg between your hands or the counter to crush the shell. Starting at the big end, begin to peel under running water, slowly, trying to get the water to run between the egg and that membrane.
Fresh home grown eggs are worth a little bit of trouble.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:12 pm 

Thanks to all of you for your information. I will try both the salt and vinegar suggestions along with peeling them under cold water. I agree that fresh eggs are better. After all, I know what these chickens are eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 am 

I'm not trying to correct you but let me pose the question, "do you really know what your chickens are eating"? Here's what I'm getting at. I don't know what supplemental feed you are using, if any, but most people who free range their chickens additionally give them bagged feed to supplement the protein intake. Feed companies usually use soy as a protein source and it makes up about 30-40% of the diet along with grass, kitchen and garden scraps and bugs and worms. If you read the latest reports on soy, you may not change your mind about using supplemental feed.
Can I ask what you are using?
Tony M

Post subject: Chicken and eggs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:01 am 

Tony is right but we need to take it a few steps
farther. When feed is mixed for animals - dogs,
cats, pigs, horses, cows, chicken, etc they mix
the cheapest feeds available on that day.
Cheap in most cases is GM crops (genetically
modified) which include soy - 85% GM, coen -
over 50% GM and cotton seed or oil - almost
100% GM. By definition they have less nutrition
+ extra herbicides, pesticides, and fingicides
and toxic chemicals in the fertilizers part of the
time.
Agreat book is by Jeffery Smith - "Seeds of
Deception" www.seedsofdeception.com
Robert D Bard
Dr Bob the Health Builder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 am 

Tony, I apologize for not getting back to you with this information. After reading what you and Robert said about the different grains in the feed, I guess I don't know what my chickens are eating. I feed them a 22% laying pellet, and a three grain scratch feed. They are not free range, though I wish they were. I am trying to at least get them in a pastured program. In the meantime all I can say is that they are uncaged and the feed is not medicated. Thanks for the information. Also, in order to get organic chicken feed in this are would cost about $20 plus dollars for a 50 pound sack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:53 pm 

wanttoknow-
I'm glad you took my comment as information rather than criticism. I understand the problem with organic feed. As big as Texas is, both in size and agriculture, we do not have one organic mill in the whole state.
Therefore, I buy seven organic grains from in and out of state and start sprouting them two days prior to feeding. I feed 19 chickens once in the morning and they range for the rest of the day. My egg production has not dropped since switching over to the sprouts and I have less manure under the roosts. This is timely and mildly costly but I'm eating the best eggs possible.
I'm not suggesting anyone else do this, I'm just describing my own process.
Tony M