It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mower recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:40 pm 

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular lawn mower to maintain a Bermuda lawn. I plan to mow it a little on the tall side (for Bermuda) so I can save on water usage. I know a reel mower would be ideal, but since I don't want to cut it short I think that would be a waste.

Just looking for a good mulcher with the option to bag as needed. It appears most rotary mowers are the same except for the "features" like self-propelled, electric start, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:27 pm 

I use a battery powered Black and Decker. I like the idea that it doesn't pollute but also it is much quieter than a gas mower.

I'm not sure letting bermuda get tall will help with water usage. If you don't want to water bermuda, it will go dormant no matter how tall you have it. Lower mowing bermuda keeps it the most dense and keeps the sunlight off of the soil better. Sunlight on soil heats it up, dries it out and fosters weed seed germination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:03 pm 

I would not recommend the black and decker battery pack stuff unless you have a very small lawn (much less than 1000 sq. ft.). I also disagree with the battery pack stuff being more 'clean' because what is involved with making the batteries, the acid, and the disposal when the batteries are cooked. You also have to charge the batts with electricity that is made from fossil fuels. No disrespect, David, just my .02. A clean honda will give you years of service and is good for mowers on emissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:19 am 

If you want a decent looking Bermuda lawn, you will need to mow on the short side. I believe that the short will use less water than the tall grass. As far as mowers, the reel will cut the best but leaves clippings laying on top. If you want a good rotary mower, check Consumer Reports Magazine. They have good ratings regarding the mowing/mulching/bagging abilities. The Honda mentioned is probably a good one although there are several cheaper mowers that mow as well or better. The key to a good cut with a rotary is to keep the blade sharp! Easiest way to do this is to buy a spare blade so you can swap as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:43 am 

Speaking of blade sharpening, does anyone do their own lawn mower blade sharpening? How often do you sharpen if you do your own?

I've got both high & low speed grinders. Also, mower blades don't have to be razor sharp anyway, just need a nice clean edge.

As for the mower, my dad had an older Murray that he has been storing for several years. I tuned it up & changed blades. Works OK for now, while I search for another. I definitely like the Honda engines & have been looking at those.

Keep the suggestions coming in. Hopefully, this hand me down mower will last thru this season & I can pick up a deal on a new one on clearance when the season ends. :D