It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Herbs for the Flu, Tested By Science

Simple Solution
It is getting to be time that we all get a bit more sophisticated about the flu, what with the Avian flu fears looming as a possible global pandemic. Vaccinations, antiviral drugs and pharmaceuticals are not the focus of this article, but finding effective herbs to help combat the illness is.

A flu and cold are often difficult to differentiate, but a flu is usually worse. Symptoms include a fever with chills, runny nose, cough, headache, and a feeling of malaise or tiredness. Although the most acute symptoms usually subside within three days, symptoms such as weakness and coughing may persist for ten days. Even though the flu is typically self-limiting, serious complications can arise in the very young or the elderly or those with a preexisting disease.

Two herbs have stood the test of science as being effective against the flu.

The ideal approach to the flu is, of course, prevention. This might be accomplished by improving the immune system, especially in the fall as flu season approaches. Several studies have shown that astragalus (Astragalus membranaceous) extracts can stimulate the immune system. Use astragalus as an extract or add the root to soups.

If you do get the flu, here are two herbs shown to help reduce the severity of the illness.

1. Elder (Sambucus nigra) has a tradition of use for the treatment of colds and flu and has stood the test of science. The flowers from this plant have demonstrated antiviral activity against both influenza types A and B, as well as herpes simplex virus type 1. It also possesses anti-inflammatory activity.

A clinical study showed that a standardized elderberry extract, Sambucol, improved the symptoms of influenza with a complete recovery in two to three days, compared to a six-day recovery period for the group not receiving the herb. In this study patients were diagnosed with influenza type B. Elder may act by stimulating the body’s own interferon or by preventing attachment of the virus to the body’s surfaces.

2. Licorice root has also demonstrated antiviral activity. When mice infected with lethal doses of influenza virus were treated with glycyrrhizin, an active component of licorice, they were protected from death due to the virus and had less lung damage than did mice treated with saline controls.

Helpful Hints
Editor’s Note: As with all herbs, if you are pregnant or have health concerns, consult with a doctor before taking those recommended here.

Adapted from The Antibiotic Alternative: The Natural Guide to Fighting Infection and Maintaining a Healthy Immune System by Cindy L. A. Jones, Ph.D. (Inner Traditions, 2000).

Post subject: Hey, you forgot oregano!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 am 

Sattie!
You forgot to mention oregano! Its antiviral properties are well known and it has been used for centuries to fight viruses of many kinds. I always have a bottle around my house in cold/flu season, and combined with a couple of other things like highly absorbable vitamin C and other nutrients, it will kick a virus right out of me.

Now, I don't mean the spice oregano - which is really marjoram - I mean the true Greek oregano. It was recommended to me years ago, and I have made sure to have it around ever since. I found that if I take it with my vitamins and water in the evening (you need something in your stomach) when I feel something coming on, it limits the duration of the virus and sometimes wards it off altogether so I barely feel any symptoms.

Lastly, I have found that when I am following my grass-fed meats, free range eggs, and natural or organic vegetable & fruit eating plan and getting the right amount of sleep, I NEVER GET SICK. In today's hectic world it's hard to stick to that regularly but eating right and making your food plan a key part of your health plan is, I'm convinced, the best health program there is.

And IMESH (In My Ever So Humble) opinion :wink: , anyone who has not yet read "The Maker's Diet" is missing out on some of the best, most direct & updated information on nutritonal therapy available to the public today.

So there! :lol: :shock: :lol:
Spring is almost here, ya'll!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:18 pm 

Kathe, thanks for the info about organo and flu/virus symptoms. I have read the "Maker's Diet for the third time and use it for a reference book also. My wife and I don't take any kind of medication. We do take a good vitamin and a few supplements, but not any perscription drugs. We endeavor to eat right (Organic). We are now attempting to grow our own food. Many people say that they can't afford to eat the way we do. Most of them are taking perscription drugs and constantly grip about the cost of drugs, Doctors, and insurance. We have a saying at our house; :Eating right does not cost, it pays." By the way, we are still young, in our late fifties and feel great.

Post subject: The Maker's Diet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:18 pm 

Wonderful book, isn't it? I'm so glad I found it. It's so comprehensive.

Something I realized later that I'd neglected to mention is that I have found that taking milk thistle tends to lessen the achiness associated with flu/viral symptoms. Helping to cleanse the body of the toxins created by the virus infection and the battle raging in your body takes away the aches & pains some, and I'm sure helps speed in recovery.

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:43 am 

I have "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Dublin. He is an intellegent ,Christian young man. That man has an awesome testimony.
I have notice that there a lot of these Christian nutritionists and doctors out there who are some of finest health speakers I know of. (Dr. Valerie Saxion, Dr. Don Colbert to name a few). And they all recommend organic grown produce.So, the "organic gospel (good news)" is growing.

Tree Dude

Post subject: OLD FASHIONED GARDENING
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 am 

Yes, I believe you are correct. I believe we had/have everything we need here on Earth, at our disposal, and have just forgotten or lost track of how to use it correctly. There are several herbs for every condition, at least one available on every continent, plants on every continent to give us each of the nutrients we need, and animals to provide protein.

When I teach anyone about organics, I start out by reminding them that this is the ORIGINAL way to garden and that the generally accepted methods of today are the upstarts and less proven. If the old methods don't work, it's because they're not supposed to!

It's an old argument, and can be modified for medicine, technology, home building, etc. But when it comes to our health, our basic body workings, I'm most inclined to trust in the originator of the systems than the technical modifications. In other words, God is in control. I just have to do my part right.

Kathe