It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:25 am 

I was talking with a friend of mine about his neighbor that recently had a very large tree cut down in her yard. He asked her why she cut down such a beautiful tree and she told him that RotoRooter suggested that she would continue to have root problems as long as she has that tree in her yard.

Here's some logic for you. You pay someone $700 to remove a $2,000 tree to avoid paying RotoRooter $100 every couple of years when, in fact, there will continue to be roots from nearby trees invading her sewer line. Not to mention her higher electric bills. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:50 pm 

Makes sense, but it depends on the tree. We have a fruitless (worthless) Mulberry that will become victim to the chainsaw soon. Once a year we have to snake out the sewer lines, due to it's aggressive root system. We will probably replace it with a shantung maple. If it were me, and it were a nice oak, I might just deal with the problems as they arise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:52 pm 

PS, I got a kick out of your Neil Sperry comment!!! Hahaha....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:40 am 

This was a desirable tree (cedar elm).

I don't think having roots in your sewer line is ever a good reason for tree-removal. If it is a trash tree, it probably should be removed anyway. The old saying of throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind.

Most homes have a "clean out" located somewhere on the property for easy access to dealing with roots. To me, roots are just one of the joys of homeownership that you might have to deal with (as you said). But getting rid of a tree doesn't guarantee that the tree in your neighbors yard can't find gaps in your lines when you consider that tree roots extend over 3 times the width of the canopy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:22 pm 

I remember a long time ago down in Friendswood(south of Houston area) beside a farm road was little house. Behind the house was one of the most beautiful live oak that your eyes could have ever seen. It was almost the perfect tree and was one of my favorite trees. It must have been at least 200- 300 yrs old. It was big one too ( the live oaks of Houston are often enormous). Well the the road was going to be updated with 4 lanes. Which was a very good. Except when they abolish the house. Within a few days later the tree was gone!
They could have save tree. And a grand tree like that is beyond valuable. I think this was the reason for whoever founded the Live Oak Society in Lousiana. Oh well, it least there are many other great trees around.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:45 pm 

Good points everyone. I am a really big fan of the Live Oak tree as well. I enjoy their crazy branch structure (as well as other oaks). I have seen some with limbs that almost touch the ground and then shoot straight back up. Maybe from pruning, I don't know.

It is good news that more trees are being planted today than ever, especially by the loggers here in the US (and us).

OH, and thank God we finally got some rain!!!