It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Nellie Stevens Holly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:19 pm 

I am new to organic gardening. We had landscaping put in this past spring. One of the Nellie Stevens Hollys was not recieving any water from the sprinklers. It died and was replaced. The 2nd is having the same trouble. the sprinklers are now corrected but it still looks dead. The landscaping people who planted it suggested Super Thrive. I would like to go organic. What do you suggest to get it to "come back"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:58 am 

I gave you an answer on your other post, but I'll repeat it here. For what it's worth, I'd let water drip at the trunk of the shrub--at least 24 hours.

Sometimes a shrub will come back in the spring.

Pat Akin

Post subject: Nellie Stevens Holly
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 am 

I am on my way out to try it right now. I'll let you know.
Thanks for the advice.

Post subject: Nellie Steven Holly
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:15 pm 

I am told to plant a male plant nearby so that the female plants will produce berries. How close is "nearby"? 10 ft, 50 ft, or within one acre?

Post subject: Using Super Thrive
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:52 pm 

Super Thrive is acceptable in an organic program and many use it. It is economical and affordable too. It's been around for decades and according to its label is a blend of 50 vitamins and hormones that stimulates growth. I've not ever used it much but I have used it and I did save a mostly dead crape myrtle my grandmother had a couple of years ago. I was visiting her in Oklahoma and it was the only remotely organic thing they had at her local garden center. It worked and the nearly rootless trunk lived, grew and is now a six foot beauty.

As an aside, Super Thrive is also popular with cannabis growers. Do a search on any interet engine and you'll be amazed! :shock: Oh, I'm so square! Orchid growers like it too, and it seems to help house plants of all types.

It's effective on any type of plant, and in fact the company has offered a $5,000 reward to any product that can beat it in an efficacy test of its own design since 1940. Not to bad for a 60-year old product, huh? Yep, it's actually been around since Word War II!

I say give it a shot! :lol:
Kathe