It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Katrina Animal Rescue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:14 am 

For those looking for a way to help animals displaced by Katrina, this project affiliated with the LSU vet school appears to be a good one (besides the obvious very underfunded Louisiana SPCA):
+++++++++++
Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association, the Louisiana Animal Control Association, and the Louisiana SPCA to provide shelter and care for those pets that have traveled with their owners from the flooded areas and animals that have been rescued from those areas.

The School's faculty, staff and students are volunteering their time at the Parker Coliseum on the LSU campus and the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, La., where animals are being sheltered. This is not something that will end in a few days. The School will require on-going support from the community.

The animal shelters are in dire need of large crates and cages. The volunteers also need ice, beverages and food. Other animal supplies, such as food, cat litter, pooper scoopers, vaccines, antibiotics, bandages, and catheters are also welcome and needed. Monetary donations can be made to the Louisiana Veterinary
Medical Association by calling 1-800-524-2996 or
225-928-5862. You can also download a donation form at the LVMA website at
www.lvma.org <outbind://1/www.lvma.org> ,

or send a check or money order made payable to the Dr.
Walter J. Ernst, Jr. Veterinary Memorial Foundation,
8550 United Plaza Blvd., Suite 1001, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. (Ed. For those preferring to send gift cards instead of cash they can use cards from PetSmart, Petco, Target....all of the major stores.)

The School of Veterinary Medicine, along with state and local animal organizations, wants to do our part by caring for as many animals as possible. Please help us in our efforts. Veterinarians and veterinary technicians who want to volunteer assistance can contact Dr. David Senior at the School of Veterinary Medicine at 225-578-9551 or dsenior@vetmed.lsu.edu.
Non-veterinary volunteers can contact the School of Veterinary Medicine at 225-578-9900. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Michael G. Groves, DVM
Dean
School of Veterinary Medicine
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: (225) 578-9900
Fax: (225) 578-9916

Last edited by Enzyme11 on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: hurricane pet rescue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:31 am 

Enzyme-
I can't thank you enough for this post-I can't tell you how much this has worried me while watching & worrying about all the human suffering. We've donated for that, but the animals had been forgotten, I felt. I heard that SPCA & U.S. SPCA were going to go get the pets, but then what will happen to their already overloaded facilities? More euthanasia?
This is a great alternative & I'm sending a check today!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:35 pm 

The Humane Society of North Texas (http://www.hsnt.net/) reduced their adoption fee by half to $40 during September in order to move more of the local animals. This is the preferred way to make room for Katrina animals. I took advantage of the offer--I have a sweet dog who has clearly needed a companion since she arrived stray in my driveway in May, 2005. The reduced price finally pushed me in their door, with my dog, and we met the one I adopted.

While we waited in the front waiting area to fill out the papers my first dog lay quietly beside me, wagging at any who offered fingers or a nice scratch behind the ears. They left with their quota of dog slobber. As I waited my turn I listened to other adopters get clear lectures from the two women working there. Well intended, and with a serious message: "Don't adopt an animal only out of sympathy following the hurricane. They're a lot of work and you'll have them for many years. Know what you're getting into." None of the people ahead of me had dogs, so they were venturing into new territory. I hope all of those adoptions work out, and that any who weren't really up to adopting changed their minds in the face of the information provided. It's better for the animals to wait a little longer than to end up in a household that can't deal with them.

It was nice, when my turn came, that my well behaved pit bull had put me in good standing. No lecture! I had put off making this decision for many reasons--dogs are a lot of work, but in hindsight I can truthfully say that I don't think two dogs amount to quite double the work. They do a good job of tending to each other's needs when I'm not around.

A suggestion, should any Dirt Doctor folks stumble upon this thread while the topic is still viable--consider adopting two animals. If you can give them a nose-to-nose introduction to get an initial reading, all the better. It will take two of them out of harms' way and will provide companionship that even humans can't equal.

Northwesterner (who does like to talk about her dogs, but hopes this comes across as helpful advice!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:00 pm 

I think the pair of pets advice is very true and may be double for kittens. they need a play mate and your older cats won't want much to do with them. If kitties are your bag, think in pairs. I just adopted a 3-4 week old that ventured into my home, follwing the scent of the others I suspect, and he's a handful. None of my other mature cats will have much if anything to do with him, other than tolerate his snuggling in with my oldest one at nap or bed time. But no play time for her. So, Good advice - if you're going to plunge - you may as well double it up! They keep each other occupied and that tends to cut down on the boredom which often is what leads to the destruction, chewing, etc.

Bless those poor beasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:07 am 

After three months I can report that my pitbull is so much happier having a companion. I would never again own just one dog at a time, it makes a world of difference to the animals. Now, when the pit breaks out of the yard she stays near the fence on the outside because her blue heeler/catahoula friend is still on the inside! Mixed blessings, eh?

They are sometimes partners in crime, tearing up various objects in playful episodes out in the yard. It is a joy to take the two of them walking, and I let the leashes twist together because they walk down the street shoulder-to-shoulder, each regularly giving the other a sloppy lick on the face in doggie communion.

When I adopted Poppy I was re-introduced to the important work of the Humane Society of North Texas, and I look to them as THE place to take rescued animals from this area. (On Thanksgiving I took down an injured stray pitbull--with an embedded collar, a cruel injury that is so easily prevented!--who will be a great pet when he's healed). With this in mind, this fall I included a payroll deduction for the organization with the annual employee charitable campaign. If you drive by on your way to Marshall Grain to pick up your Muenster Natural you'll see a list of items they need donated at the moment--don't be shy, take in some cat litter or dog food!

Northwesterner

Post subject: Humane
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:59 am 

They won't turn down money if you don't have food, litter, etc.

Pat Akin