It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:20 pm 

I am new to the Keller area and am interested in a good tree supplier. One that is established and has a good reputation. Also, new groud crew memeber and need help with the "clay soil" here in west Keller.

Post subject: Help With Clay Soil
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:30 pm 

Being in the soil business for over thirty years, my best advice to you to help fix your clay soil, is to till in expanded shale and a fully finished, pH-balanced compost (at Soil Building Systems we call it “Gumbo Buster” – take a look at http://www.soilbuildingsystems.com/Bedd ... rDataSheet). Gumbo Buster is scientifically engineered to provide a permanent solution to challenges posed by our native soil. The pH Balanced compost in this mix will actually adjust the pH of our very alkaline native soil so that it falls into the neutral zone.

Achieving a neutral pH is desired because it allows the plants to absorb the needed nutrients much more efficiently, thus allowing the plant to thrive, as opposed to our native alkaline soil which chemically pinches off the plants' ability to absorb nutrients. The other part of the problem is that the soil is too tight, and the roots can’t easily penetrate. Expanded shale not only will help to aerate the tight soil but will also break up the soil and keep it loose. Howard also recommends the use of expanded shale.

Baron Ablon
Baron@SoilBuildingSystems.com

Last edited by SBS on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:19 pm 

paint11 wrote:
I am new to the Keller area and am interested in a good tree supplier. One that is established and has a good reputation. Also, new groud crew memeber and need help with the "clay soil" here in west Keller.

Find a store that raies trees using organic tecniques. I believe you will find these at Redenta's in Colleyville or Green Mama's in North Richland Hills. Those are the two places nearest to you that I can think of.

Baron Ablon has provided you with excellent information on the clay soil issue. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach