It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Muenster Dog food.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:36 pm 

I friend told me that during Howard's talk show yesterday (I missed it) he said that Muenster was bad for dogs because the corn wasn't being digested properly and we should stop feeding it to our pets. Did anyone hear that? I can't believe it....My dogs love the dog food!

Thanks,
Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:21 am 

I asked my vet about the corn in the food. He (Bob Verzosa, in Fort Worth) grew up in the Phillipines, and said the dogs there where he lived all ate with the pigs, and the pigs ate mostly corn. He laughed and said the dogs were big and strong and fine!

My dogs are beautiful, happy, and love it. That works for me!

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:03 pm 

As far as I know, all that Howard feeds his dogs is Muenster. He praises it and endorses it fully. I think perhaps your friend misheard? I feed my horse their horse feed and I bet I have the healthiest barn cats in the county! :lol:

I offer it to my boarders for their horses as well. It is wonderful stuff. One of my customers is involved in the Mustang rescue and she said that those previously wild horses do so much better on the Muenster than anything else - and that just makes sense as there isn't anything artificial in it. It is most like what they used to eat out in the wild.

I think your dogs will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:52 am 

Absolutely! Muenster Natural and all its ingredients are excellent and I highly recommend. The only people negative about the Muenster Natural products are those trying to sell other products.

Post subject: before and after
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:30 am 

I should have added that there is a before and after photo in the members photo gallery of my horse. She came to me from the breeder with a terrible looking coat, bite marks from the brood mares and just overall run down looking. Weight not a problem, but she looked bad. After about 3 or 4 months on Muenster extruded natural horse feed - and Missing Link - she looked like a show horse. :D The photos don't do her justice. The outside is the last place to recieve the benefits, shiny coat, etc., so just imagine how much good the inside rec'd. from the nutrients. I just don't see how you can go wrong with Muenster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:55 pm 

I tried to get a relative to feed for her dog Muenster. So she ask a vet if she know anything about it. The vet said it is just a good theory :? . She said she fed her dog with Muenster a while and said she poop about 10-15 times a day. Well, that slapped me a bit. I been pondering about that. I think I know why. I think maybe it is because the DE is cleaning the insides and pushing out the junk that her dog had. Is that a possibility ?

Tree Dude

Last edited by Tree Dude on Mon May 01, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:33 pm 

It sounds like she might be over-feeding the dog!

My 50 pound dog gets 3 cups, my 30 pound dog gets 2 cups. I feed them once a day, first thing in the morning. We have our share of output, but nothing like what you describe. (I did discover recently that the scamps had figured out how to get into the bird feeder, and their stool was studded with corn and millet for a few days! I've since raised the feeder!)

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:52 am 

So, how many times a day does your dog poop with muenster. Of course, one might be very bored counting it all day long :roll: .

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:36 am 

I can't say I'm there to watch because they're outside dogs--I just go around and scoop it up every couple of days. It isn't nearly as much as was suggested above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am 

Tree Dude-
Another thought: Did you sister gradually transition over to the Muenster by mixing in increasing amounts of the old dog food? Switching dog foods (any dog food) can definitely cause increase in output, even diarrhea. I know this from experience.

Currently, I'm in the process of phasing my dog from Paul Newman Organic (just for variety) to Muenster and so far he's still pooping only twice a day and doing well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:46 am 

You also have to bear in mind that dogs tend to munch all sorts of stuff during the day that didn't come from your hand. Mine eat grass, they find acorns and pecans (and I recently discovered that they love peanuts in the shell--who knew?) and if I'm not watching when we go on our walks they'll occasionally munch a road raisin (one of those flattened dried toads) that seem so appealing to them. I give the dogs each a chunk of cow bone (raw, from the butcher) about once a week, and they get a pig's ear at least a couple of times a week (to keep their teeth nice and clean). They also get table scraps sometimes. That does contribute to the output, but I still don't think it is as much as mentioned above.

My pit bull used to raid the compost, and was treating it like a fast food source (!) so I had to temporarily stop putting food scraps in it. I'll be designing a dog-proof compost bin soon so I can resume my old practice.

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:31 am 

Followup on the non-dogfood diet of dogs:

My dogs now are enclosed with a system called Invisible Fence. This became necessary when the pitbull started a recreational program of breaking out of my backyard across a shared chainlink fence and hanging out next door. She couldn't escape their yard (I need to get a fence like they have around the rest of their yard, a tall black steel arrangement with a concrete footer) so that wasn't a problem, but their occasional visitor, an unpleasant Boston Terrier was. I didn't want my dog hurting that one, or the accidental unsupervised knocking down of the visiting grandchildren she loves to play with.

Invisible Fence is good, but it requires training and the dogs can't run free as soon as it is in. I kept them in a 8'x13' kennel for a couple of weeks, and walked them regularly. So while in the kennel they weren't eating all of the extra stuff. On their Muenster diet alone they were losing weight out there. I didn't increase the Muenster during that time.

There is a lot more poop in the yard now, and I became aware of this as we shifted fencing systems. I look out back now and see them grazing under the hackberry, and in season I'm sure I'll find stool filled with June bug carapaces, as we did last year. It is amazing what dogs eat, and I think goats get a bad rap, all things considered. "The inside of a dog's stomach" has to be just as opportunistically filled as the "inside of a goat's stomach."

Northwesterner