It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bamboo Needed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:25 am 

I am looking for bamboo I can dig up for transplanting from someone who has it to give away. I need one of the varieties that gets very tall - I guess that is the standard golden bamboo. I want some that will grow quickly to form a screen. Any advice on varieties? Anyone know where I can dig some up? Any tips for successfully tranplanting it?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:36 am 

There are many different kinds of bamboo. I am told they can range anywhere between 4 and 75 feet tall. Some are more aggressive than others are. You might find the following helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... oding=UTF8

The following site has a varied selection from which you might wish to look. To give you an idea, I have cut and pasted some information below. I recommend purchasing locally if possible. If you do not find it at your favorite nursery, ask if they can order it for you. I highly recommend asking for it by the Latin name.

http://www.jmbamboo.com/pricelist.htm:

Arrow Bamboo - Psuedosasa japonica

Height - 12 to 18 feet. Diameter - 3/4 inch. Hardy to O degrees. Screening bamboo

A great bamboo for screening. It has leaves all the way down and the canes grow very close together forming a dense barrier. With somwhat large leaves it has a tropical look but is very cold hardy. I've seen this bamboo pruned to 8 feet and it formed a very dense screen only a couple feet thick. Probably the best bamboo for a 10 to 15 foot screen.

Big Node Bamboo - Phyllostachys nidularia

Height - Up to 33 feet. Diameter 1 and 1/2 inches. Hardy to 0 degrees.

Very distinct, prominent nodes. Grows well in sun or light shade and has beautiful shoots that are good to eat. The distinct look of the nodes give this bamboo lots of character. This bamboo deserves more attention. It will make a fast growing screen with a very distinct look.
An agressive runner, it will spread rapidly.

Broadleaf Bamboo - Indocallamus latifolius

Height - Up to 8 feet. Diameter 1/2 inch. Hardy to a little below zero.. Screening bamboo.

Another great bamboo for screening. This resembles Arrow Bamboo with leaves growing low to the ground and canes very close together, however it only gets about 6 to 8 feet tall. This makes a good indoor bamboo. Shade and drought tolerant, this is also a very cold hardy bamboo.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:52 pm 

Know what you're getting. Just like with other grasses, there are bunch type bamboos and those that form a sod. People generally are happier with those that bunch.