It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Nematodes in the fridge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:18 pm 

How long will the package of beneficial nematodes last in the fridge? I have the kind that come packaged in soil.

Also, I've used the BN to some degree of success with fire ants near the foundation of my house. I've also heard they are the best way to combat root knot nematodes but haven't tried it in my veggie garden yet. Are there other options to kill the critters?

Thanks!
M&S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:44 pm 

Far as the refrigerator is concerned, I wouldn't leave them in no more than 3-4 months, (or one season), for maximum effectiveness.

All soil disease and soil pest problems are normally a sign of bad sustainable soil management. If you keep your soil constantly loaded all year round, with lots of mature compost and/or good cover crops or green manures, that is always step one!

Then add other biostimulants to increase the beneficial microbial and macrobial life and activity in the soil.

i.e. dry molasses, plain corn meal, aerated compost tea recipes, etc.

If you do these simple things, there will not be any need to ever waste your money on buying beneficial nematodes ever again.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton