It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I need help
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:58 am 

We had our dog for six months now and she will not eat the meunster very well even when she is very hungry. the vet says that she is healthy, even if she is a little underweight but that she needs to eat more than she is. DH thinks that we can use Ol'Roy soft food and the she will be fine. I thought I heard that was really bad for dogs but I cannot find any information on it. Can you please help me - does anyone know of info proving that ol'roy is not a good substitute for mitsy?
thanks in advance, christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 pm 

I retail the Muenster feeds, equine and domestic animals alike. I've only had one client have one dog that was fussy like yours. You may try wetting it down a little and seeing if that doesn't help. I'd do that long before I'd switch to a non-natural food. I have 7 cats on the cat formula and one needs it to be wet down sometimes. I think she has trouble crunching it at her old age.

Read your labels of course, but I don't know that Ol Roy is known for its naturalness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:22 am 

Muenster has a new "large chunk" dog food that some dogs prefer over the small bits. I believe it only comes in the regular formula (green bag). If you can get a sample bag (they are available), that would be a great why to trial the new food. I agree with Marie regarding Ol Roy. If you need to switch, read ingredient lists on various dog foods first.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:39 pm 

Another alternative you might try is the pet food product that Burgundy Pasture Beef offers. Go to www.burgundypasturebeef.com and you can order it along with all of their other wonderful products. They deliver in the Dallas/FW area. It is the scrap material from their wonderful grass fed beef. My dog eats herbs & veggies on his own too, and this fresh meat product rounds out his diet beautifully. It's inexpensive and he loves it. He's one happy, hardy little dog!

Hope that helps! :D
Kathe

Post subject: Ol'Roy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 am 

Please PLEASE do not feed Ol'Roy to your dog. This is the WORST dog food available according to any veterinarian I have ever come into contact with. From grocery stores, Pedigree or Iams are much better. If you do feed a lower quality dog food, try sprinkling some Missing Link on it to provide some of the stuff that will definitely be missing. For that matter, you might even try sprinkling a bit of "Missing Link" on the Muenster. My dogs LOVE it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:48 pm 

Considering the stuff I've seen my dogs eat, you could sprinkle sawdust on their food and they'd love it. I think I'd have a shorter list if I enumerated the things a dog *won't* eat. :) We go for a walk and I have to make them spit out the acorns, dead toads (road raisins) and leave the roadkill squirrels alone. Yuck.

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:26 am 

I should have mentioned in that last post that I concur with the recommendation to try the larger bites available in Muenster. My pitbull was slow to eat the regular Muenster at first, and I used to have to put her dog dish in a shallow pan of water to keep the ants out of it during the day while the food sat there. Now with the big bite she eats her food all at once in about 90 seconds.

If your dog is fussy about eating you may need to change how and when you feed it. Getting regular exercise--then being fed--is a good arrangement for dogs (see my remarks elsewhere about Cesar Millan--he promotes, among other things, making dogs "work for their food.")

Northwesterner

Post subject: I need help.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:05 pm 

For what it's worth, here's what I do. I save leftovers from my human meals, especially chicken carcasses when I roast a chicken. I add any leftover vegs and make a big pot of chicken broth. I pour a bit over my dry dog food and my 4 picky dogs lap it up. A big pot of broth usually lasts a week.

And I echo what the other person said about Ol Roy. It's awful.

There are a lot of internet sites that talk about dog food ingredients and what is good and what is bad for dogs. You have to remember that most folks feed the same thing for the life of the dog. I've worked with dogs for over 30 years, especially with nutrition, and so many diseases, especially skin allergies, can be traced to poor quality food. Anything bad in the food is amplified by the fact that, unlike people, most dogs don't get a variety. So, please, keep your doggies on a high quality food. You'll save money in vet bills!