It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brugmansia care
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:39 am 

Hey--I've got a beautiful yellow brug, bought from the FWBG spring sale last year. It still has its old stem from last year & I figured that I need to cut it back to stimulate this year's growth. Any help or hints greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 am 

Hey, there, Sweet !
I'm sorry this is only, what ?? SIX months after your post ?? haha.
I just renewed, and saw the word brugmansia ! :wink:
Those are one of my favorite plants, and I'm growing several.
If you actually see this, and care to discuss them further, please respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:40 pm 

I just saw "brugmansia" also and want to talk about them. I have one that I have been dragging in and out every winter. Have you ever tried to overwinter them in the ground in the Dallas area? I assume they would die to the ground, but maybe come back if well mulched? I know they are related to datura, and it comes back.

If you "garage them", do you cut them back in the spring?

Also, I've had spidermite problems with it and often lose most of the leaves in summer. Do you have this problem or spray anything to prevent this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:23 pm 

Hi, gardeneratlaw !! (love the name) Glad to meet you !
This is the first year that any of my brugs have spent both the spring and summer in the ground, and my plans are to cut them back, and mulch well for the winter. Some friends have done that with theirs for years... they live near Tyler. Whatever you cut off can be rooted over the winter, and you'll have alot more !! :D
Honestly, I made sure to plant "spare" brugs in the ground, just in case :wink: It's always best to keep at least one cutting of those you've left in the ground, on the chance that we have a rough winter, and they do freeze out.
What kind is yours ? Color ? Is it very large ?? Are you growing datura, too ? I have a couple of those, myself.
I've obtained ALOT more brugs this year, that are really still too small to cut from, (mostly in 1-gal pots) so they will come inside for the winter. My former guest room is going to be PACKED !! :D You can 'garage' them, they'll go dormant, and then you can cut them back when you see new growth starting again in Spring. Oh, there's so much to say about that ! haha. I belong to a brugger's organization, and if you'd like more info, PM me for the site... not sure if we can post those here. :?: Don't want to assume it's OK, is all.
Spider mites have been ATROCIOUS for me this year !! Seems I've got a handle on 'em, for about a month, then they're back with a vengeance !! arrgghh! I've used lots of organics on them, but had to move up to pyrethrins, to see any progress with the mites :cry:
This heat has been quite hard on my brugs this year, too ... leaves will yellow and fall, they will set buds, but then those will dry up and fall off. I KNOW this will get better with cooler temps, so I'm desperately trying to be patient :roll: October's been one of my best months for blooms, in the past.
Brugs are wonderful things ! hehe. Hoping to see more of them around NTX !
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:35 am 

Looking forward to an autumn show of those huge yellow dripping flowers :)

Mine is 4' tall, just one 1" stem branching into 4 near the top, sharing a 16" clay pot (and competing for water) with 2 plumerias.

Next year will separate and repot with the extra cuttings I will try starting. So can I just lop it off a foot from the base to make cuttings and it will re-grow next spring? I need reassurance before I do that. What size are your cuttings? Is 1" too thick? Do you take cuttings in winter or spring? I wish they set seed like the datura.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:52 am 

Cutting back is quite a large subject, and I'm still learning. I lost quite a few cuttings last winter, because I'd cut parts that were just too 'young' and green, BUT I'm learning my lessons ... HAHA.
Yes, you can cut yours leaving about 1', take the top portion with the branching (flowering region) and keep THAT entire removed portion in a bucket of water for the winter (about 3-4" of water), changing it now and then to keep it fresh, and you'll be AMAZED at how many good roots will come from that trunk. You're liable to lose leaves, then grow leaves, then lose those, all winter long, so you shouldn't panic about that. The remaining plant in the pot can be kept indoors or in the garage, but since it's not in the ground, I wouldn't trust leaving it outside over the winter. Both the cutting in water and the remaining portion in the pot merely need to be kept from freezing, though rooting is promoted by indoor temps.
OR, you can wait to do that cutting until perhaps January, around here. The top (cut) portion should produce good roots in the water after only a few weeks, anyway, so that's your call.
Once spring comes along again (and it WILL :wink: ) you can then decide whether or not the upper branches on the upper portion are then thick and long enough to cut off for rooting, too. Whichever parts of the plant are BELOW the branching will again need time to form branching again (called the "Y") in order to produce blooms, and all cuttings ABOVE the 'Y' will have a head's start the next season, is all.
Have I completely confused you, now ? hahaha.
I've read other URL's listed here, so I'll go ahead and link you to a SUPER resource for brug info....
http://www.brugmansia.us/
I've been a member for several years now, and that has proven to be the BEST $10/yr that I've ever spent in my life ! hehe. 'Course I readily admit to being totally addicted to brugs, and perhaps you're not. ;-)
Well, you can still peruse several informative avenues there, without being a member, and I certainly recommend exploring the Brug Galleries !! CAUTION: Those may cause you to become hopelessly addicted ! :wink:
Now you can't say I didn't warn you ! ;-)
The Growing and Propagation link has good ideas about pruning, etc. , too.
Enjoy !!
BTW, this year, we'll be taking 2 plummies out of their pots, rinsing off all of the soil, and simply keeping those from freezing ... my friends do that all of the time, and they come back great, in new soil, come spring !! Now, that's COOL !! Sure will be easier than hauling in those pots again this year !! ;-) (sure wish that worked with brugs, but NO !!)