It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm 

We are in process of building a greenhouse we have the frame and potting soil in the beds. we planted tomatoes, they bloom but the blooms fall off and there are not any fruit on the plants. We think it is a polination provlem but we are not sure. Has anyone had this problem and how did you handle it. We are also facing how to keep the greenhouse heated this winter any suggestions on this as well is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Greenhouse
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:38 am 

I've read about someone keeping their greenhouse heated with their compost pile inside the house.

Pat Akin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:10 am 

You're probably right about the tomatoes needing pollination. Howard mentioned on numerous shows that shaking or hitting the plants works well. He said to get fairly rough with them (I assume you wouldn't want to break any stems or hurt the plant). Regarding heating a greenhouse; I use several small electric heaters (thermostat type). All I'm trying to do is keep temp above freezing. If you need to maintain higher temps, you may need a large commercial type unit that runs off a gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:58 am 

I have nothing but plastic lashed down over a metal cattle panel that has been formed into an arch. I use floating row cover and a couple of heat lamps. I can grow all the cold weather crops, lettuce, broccoli, kale, etc with this method.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:18 pm 

I don't have a greenhouse but several friends do. If your greenhouse is positioned to capture good winter sun you can add a sealed 55 gal barrel for every 100 sqft. The water barrel painted black will absorb the suns energy and give it back to keep the space warm or above freezing at night.

My friends have add thermostats to activate small space heaters in the event that several cloudy days impact the storage capacity of the water.

You can also build a solar floor using a concrete slab over 12 cinder blocks over 12" of sand cushion. The floor stores the heat and then gives it back to the space. The design is simple but it requires floor vents to allow heat to be drawn down and stored when the sun is shinning. I believe there is a good example in a book called the Passive Solar Handbook. It has building diagrams and excel worksheets that effectively help you to design it.

Rather than use fossil fuel derived energy - use the sun's energy.