It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Going Organinc
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:29 pm 

All,
I am making the leap, and I am very excited.
I have recently cancelled my lawn service company and I am not sure what my next step is. Their last application was mid March, I have a Bermuda front lawn (some weed, mostly healthy) and newly sodded St Augustine back lawn, what should I do first and when?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:13 pm 

gdries,
Welcome aboard...we are excited for you. I would suggest that you start out by looking over the "Organic FAQs" found here:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

Curious, what made you decide to "take the leap?"

Post subject: Kbrew thanks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:16 am 

Thanks for the link, I will start there. I decided to go organic for 3 reasons, first I was not satisfied with the results that the chemical applications were giving, second I am always fearful of warnings for pets and people, my dog prefers the out doors, and third with the Bermuda and St Augustine combination, it get cost prohibitive to try and support both lawns. I am looking for an all around solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:24 am 

Welcome to the methods that truly work! Yes, the ones that are designed to get things back to how they originally were before the "chemical revolution". If you would still like to have a service for your lawn - one that is organic, try Soils Alive or A Little Extra. Check the Organic Sources link on the main page of this website and then click on the business directory. The listings are in alphabetical order. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:12 pm 

Allow me to introduce myself and company to our new convert. Welcome from the chemical to the natural world! We are AJSouthwest and advertise with Howard. We provide an organic lawn maintanence program where we make recommendations on your lawn's needs then schedule you for the program. Our website is linked to Dirt Doctor home page. Visit our site, give us a call and we will visit your property with no obligation from you. Art Dingee

Post subject: Re: Kbrew thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:16 pm 

gdries wrote:
I decided to go organic for 3 reasons, first I was not satisfied with the results that the chemical applications were giving, second I am always fearful of warnings for pets and people, my dog prefers the out doors, and third with the Bermuda and St Augustine combination, it get cost prohibitive to try and support both lawns. I am looking for an all around solution.

What got to me is the business on the labels stating that never, ever reuse the tablespoon for any human foodstuff. c***.

The other is that the nasty c*** never really worked. I was well on my way to killing an antique rose bush I inherited with this place. The more I sprayed the toxic goop, the worse it got.

Finally I said ENOUGH! Almost right away just cornmeal made a huge difference. Now also occasionally augment that with apple cider vinegar and molasses. Bam! More blooms at any given time than I've ever seen on that plant.

Similar approach working wonders with Crepe Myrtle. After struggling almost non-stop with powdery mildew, these plants are now looking healthier than they have ever looked since buying this house. PM does occasionally pop-up, but now it seems I've finally figured out how to deal with it quickly, easily, and actually less expensively than nasty chemical (I hate to use that word because it's all chemicals, but you know what I mean) c***.

And of course when spraying this stuff, no sweat of some overspray gets in my face. Good thing too because I seem to have a talent for making a mess. Oh why do I spray on windy days?!

(Though, that's not to say there aren't some risks with organic stuff. I did not know that sufficient quantities of garlic and habanero peppers can actually melt the typical dishwashing rubber gloves! ;-) I had a good laugh over that.)

Post subject: Going Organic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:59 pm 

If you are planning to do yourself, here is what I do and most of the time my yard looks better then yards with sprinker systems and yard service company.

1. buy a mulching lawn mower.
2. set it to cut as high as possible.
3. don't water your lawn (I have only watered my yard 1 time in 3 years.
4. plant winter rye grass

In late spring the winter rye dies and if the grass has not started to really grow my yard looks worst the other yards otherwise it always looks better per my neighbors. Some have shut off the sprinkers and are trying my method so I may not have the best looking lawn around.

Only draw back is you have to mow the winter grass to keep it the same height as your other grass.