It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: community gardening
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:08 pm 

I recently have become interested in a community gardening project. There are a couple of empty lots on our block and would be ideal for a community garden, but I don't even know where to begin. Is anyone a part of a community garden? How did it get started? How did you enlist the help of your local city government? Businesses? How did you enlist the help of your neighborhood? Do you have regular meetings? Am I asking too many questions? My desire is have a place where I can teach children in the neighborhood about gardening, nutrition, and to give back to the community. I just don't know where or how to get started. My mind is racing with ideas but I am at a loss where ot lead them to. Any advice, comments, and help is very welcomed. I look forward to hearing from any of you. Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:03 pm 

I'm not involved in a community garden, but my suggestion would be to get involved in a local garden club, organic if you can find one. Other members of a garden club may have some creative ideas for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:37 am 

One of the most successful and fruitful community gardens in this area are the Coppell Community gardens. They have citizens, master composters, boy scouts, city government and a board of directors involved in this project. Over the years they have donated thousands of pounds of organic produce to the local food banks.
Call the city secretary and ask for Amanda Van Hoosier's number. You can use my name if you wish. Better yet, visit one of the two gardens in Coppell on any Saturday morning when they harvest the gardens.
Tony M

Post subject: re: community garden
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:14 pm 

Thanks so much for the valuable information! :D I will certainly have to take a look into Coppell. Ya'll have a blessed holiday weekend!

Patri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 am 

patri-
I just noticed you live in Abilene. Coppell in a small city (about 25000) north of Dallas just west of I35E, neat the DFW airport. So if you were to visit Dallas or Fort Worth, it would not be a long drive.

Send me your e-mail address via pm and I will send you the pdf of their newsletter. The names and contacts are in there. I don't think I can attach a pdf to the pm in this forum.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 pm 

http://www.main.org/sunshine/

These folks could be very helpful. They are in Austin, and the largest Comm Garden in the nation.