It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Web worms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:56 pm 

I have heard that Trichogama Wasp will help get rid of web worms. Where can you buy the wasp? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:34 pm 

Wasps are going to be a slow control method, and webworms tend to multiply rapidly. If it's a significant problem, I would use Bacillus thuringensis (hope I spelled that correctly) :)
It will work much faster. Beneficials for pest control is a slow gradual process, often taking years to get the numbers in balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:09 am 

You can buy the wasps at most nurseries. Call ahead to make sure they have them. From my experience, the wasps work very well. Don't expect 100% elimination; maybe 90-95%. The downside to BT is that the worms have to eat it & it also kills caterpillars, etc. that eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:45 pm 

Anywhere near Denton to buy the trichogramma wasps? Calloway's doesn't have em, and I think Meador doesn't carry them either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:47 pm 

hime wrote:
Anywhere near Denton to buy the trichogramma wasps? Calloway's doesn't have em, and I think Meador doesn't carry them either.

I wonder if the Sanger General Store / Organic Depot might have some. They seem to stock a rather large quantity of organic stuff. Have you tried calling Hartwells Nursery in Lewisville? I've never been there myself, but I've heard others refer to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:10 pm 

To everyone, I found the trichogramma wasp at Marshal Grain on E. Lancaster street in Fort Worth. They are 4.99 for a card with 30000 eggs on it. the girl at Marshall Grain told me that it is best to put one card of eggs per tree and that to keep birds from eating the eggs you put a styrofoam cup upside down and suspend the egg card inside the cup and hang it from a limb on each tree.

I bought a gallon of garret juice and I am going to try that on my tomato plant.

Marshall Grain also has the neatest outside heat thermometors some have old tractors on them, great for fathers day. Rhey also carry Dubkin Dr. Pepper and a bunch of other neat stuff. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:07 pm 

Remember that several types of large wasps prey on webworms, so if you tear the web open they can get to them much faster. I've used the "stick method", meaning I go out a tear open the web with a big stick, for years and it works very well and every time. :D 8)

Yet another reason to leave our beneficial wasps alone - don't bother them and they won't bother you!

Kathe :lol: