It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:20 pm 

Someone is eating the new growth on my dwarf youpon hollies. This happened last year also. Last year I used liquid seven, and it worked great until it rained or we watered. We want to go organic this year. The *someone* has already been eating on the shrubs. I know I need some kind of pepper spray. I'm just not sure what all I need to add to the spray. Thanks for your help.
Vickie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:20 pm 

Vickie,
Welcome to the forum.
One of the things you will find with the organic approach is that you will begin to treat the cause of the problem...and not the symptom. My first thought about your question was that I've never heard of anything eating yaupons before. But if there is it means that there's something lacking in the soil. Plants become attacked when they are stressed. It's nature's way of getting rid of weak specimens. Since you are new to the "natural way" of doing things, you need to begin adding amendments to your soil to stimulate microbial activity as soon as possible. There are countless resources here to get you started.
Good luck.

Post subject: Bunnies?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:38 pm 

Welcome! As our friend and colleague says, we learn how to treat the cause instead of the symptoms, to get rid of the need for most pesticides and other quick fixes.

I haven't ever heard of anything eating yaupons either - but could it possibly be a rabbit or other toothed vermin? Just a thought since you said it was young growth. We've seen scads of them even here in our north Dallas area.

We hope you'll enjoy our company. We're nice folks.

Kathe :D