It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:53 am 

Just found out that the organic supplier I'd recommended in Kaufman County is going out of business. "Saddle Up", on US 175 between Kaufman and Kemp appears to be clearing out. My wife bought some nice Justin boots at a good price, though... and I think that was part of the problem. I don't think a western wear store combined with a feed store makes a good business model. The clothes go out of style, and the feed sits and goes bad.

Plus another problem -- the location is five miles from anywhere, and really worked against them. Another 10 years and Kaufman may have expanded that far... but that's an awfully long time to go hungry.

Sorry to see them go, though. I hope our other local feed stores will pick up the slack on the organics. I haven't been much help, myself... I'm "organic by benign neglect," as Howard described it on last Sunday's show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:59 am 

Hey Robert, Brenda, here in Post Oak Bend. Try Cordell Farm store. After arriving here 20 years ago, the Cordells have gone from ordering organics for me to stocking quite a few basics. Good folks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:20 am 

Brenda Shomette wrote:
Hey Robert, Brenda, here in Post Oak Bend. Try Cordell Farm store. After arriving here 20 years ago, the Cordells have gone from ordering organics for me to stocking quite a few basics. Good folks!

Thanks for the tip! I'd seen that they had a section of organics, but it seemed a bit cobwebbed. Glad to know that I wouldn't be the only one asking... especially because we've been "organic by benign neglect", not buying anything much at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:34 pm 

Cordell's has been there a long time and agreed, its organics section is pretty dusty. Chisholm Feed between Rockwall & Terrell on Hwy. 205 is stocking a lot of organics and supporting the cause. They're east of Kaufman about 25 miles. Not exactly close but close-r than some other places.
Kathe :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:27 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Cordell's has been there a long time and agreed, its organics section is pretty dusty. Chisholm Feed between Rockwall & Terrell on Hwy. 205 is stocking a lot of organics and supporting the cause. They're east of Kaufman about 25 miles. Not exactly close but close-r than some other places.
Kathe :lol:

I've been wanting to stop there (though it's north, not east), because they actually have signage out front promoting their organics. But they're always closed when I go by. I'll just have to try harder.

Post subject: chisholm
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:20 pm 

Oops! :oops: You're right! It's north/west, not east.
I always take I-30 east from Dallas, then exit FM 205 & go right, which I think would be east from that point, out of Rockwall, not Kaufman.
Sorry for the confusion, ya'll.
Kathe :roll:

Post subject: Re: chisholm
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:47 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Oops! :oops: You're right! It's north/west, not east.
I always take I-30 east from Dallas, then exit FM 205 & go right, which I think would be east from that point, out of Rockwall, not Kaufman.
Sorry for the confusion, ya'll.
Kathe :roll:

I'm a map geek, so I know almost intuitively that the stretch of I-30 in Rockwall is nearly east-west, and SH 205 (not FM 205, that's a road in Stephenville) bears almost due south from there, jogging just a bit to the east. My wife thinks I'm nuts, though -- normal people just follow directions without playing at civil engineering on the way. :)

I finally got a chance to stop by the Chisholm Feed Store. I was quite impressed by their knowledge and selection. It's not a big place, so there isn't a lot of shelf space, but everything looked very fresh -- they even had some of Howard's books. If you order by Monday, they can get anything you need delivered before the end of the week.

They're not a 100% organic shop, but I don't think you could stay in business in rural Kaufman County without stocking the items that people demand. But with their organics prominently displayed, plus knowledgable staff, I believe the organic message will continue to spread.

Thanks for giving me the push to finally stop by!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:53 pm 

Um, never mind. So much for my instincts -- SH 205 is almost exactly northwest to southeast. Howard needs to add an emoticon that would imply "egg on my face" -- something like this perhaps. 8:(

Post subject: directions????!!??
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:56 pm 

It's okay Robert...we love you anyway!
Just to make you happy, I'll leave off the FM or SH and just give the road number from now on. :wink:
Anymore map questions, ya'll?

Kathe :lol: 8) :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:03 pm 

That's ok guys. It shows that we are human and make mistakes at times.
I drive by that place everytime I visit my mother in Gun Barrell City. Gona stop in visit and check out their organic supply next time I am in that area. looks like it it could be good pickins.

Post subject: GREAT NEWS!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 pm 

I heard from a colleague that Saddle Up isn't closing down after all!
Thought ya'll would enjoy hearing this good news!
Kathe