It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Kennel Floor
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:11 pm 

I've got a couple of mutts. A 11yr old Hinze 57 neutered female and a 7 yr old Border terrier.
The Border acts like a 57 Chevy, he throws gravel out of the kennel every tim he moves. and it is getting to be a muddy mess. I'm looking for a couple of different ideas to put in for a floor. A concrete pad is out, but I M considering looking at something like decomposed granit or some type of stone that will set up when tamped down and is still porus enough to drain when washed down any suggestions are appreciated

Post subject: Dog Pen Flooring
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:53 am 

Don't know where you are but if you want someting inexpensive that will help for a while get some rice hull bedding. A 6 cu ft bag is only $6 - $7.00 (depending on your retailer) and will provide an organic surface that is comfortable and biodegradable until you get whatever material you finally settle on. It's fluffy and they'll like it to lay in and it will fill up the muddy places pretty quickly. I use it for cat litter and then dump that in my beds for inexpensive added organic compost/mulch material. It doesn't float and it doesn't blow away. I've been really happy with it.
Kathe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:59 am 

Thought I'd better add a little information before some of you get worried.
A) the solid waste material goes elsewhere to be composted, away from my beds, and that's ornamental beds only folks, not on the veggies or herbs after it's been through the cat box (safety first) and B) no, the little particles don't bother my cats at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:10 am 

I set up a kennel kit (the one from Lowe's that is about 13' by 7.5') and the area where I finally put it was on top of the site of a recent berm that was moved. The spot was half grass and half dirt and though they're not housed in it often, I didn't want them covered with mud if they had to spend time there after a rain.

I picked up some bags of cedar mulch and left several in the kennel one evening in preparation for spreading it in the morning. Imagine my surprise the next morning to find the mulch spread around the kennel, mostly in the place where I wanted it.* The Shoemaker with his elves has nothing on me with my dogs! I did have to pick up the plastic that they'd left mostly in large chunks when they finished. In the past they avoided the kennel when it was just on the lawn, but they love it now and go in voluntarily (I leave the door open and there is a plastic dog house and water always filled in there). I think the soft cedar really made a difference.

*Note to self: don't leave any bags of mulch for the rest of the yard where the dogs can get to it unless I want it spread right where the bag is sitting.