It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:57 pm 

admin wrote:
Mr. Clean wrote:
The lack of responsiveness by admin to questions/comments regarding those changes has certainly given me cause to pause.

If by "admin", you mean me, I have tried to respond to every post and private message concerning this site......I may have missed some, but it was not intentional....Is there something I can help you with?

Actually, though I used the term “admin”, I didn’t mean you specifically. I was speaking more in general terms of the site’s/company’s administration. This is one of the initial threads regarding the changes. I think you may be able to read my frustration in trying to get a direct answer to my questions.
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

I think I have expressed this opinion before, but I think the changes have been poorly thought out (no matter how well intentioned) and the implementation is not that great either. Some thoughts…

Dirt
1) The electronic delivery is limited to the “connected” audience.
2) It is very slow and cumbersome for those with dial-up service.
3) If you want a hard copy, that is at the user’s expense (equipment + supplies) in addition to the subscription price. In effect paying twice.
4) When you leave the forum, you no longer have access to the information you have already paid for (archived Dirt issues).
5) Check the actual content of the April issue of Dirt – 55 total pages - @ 21 pages for vendor related information, 7 pages of miscellaneous items, 4 articles covering only @ 12 pages of text.

Discount Benefits
Doug wrote:
… Doesn't the 10% discount on purchases from the many participating retailers and manufacturers save you $24.95 per year?

You are kidding, right? Assuming my math skills haven’t left me completely, that would mean that I would be spending $249.50 each year on amendments and all of those products would have to be purchased from a participating retailer and I would have to remember to have my card with me. (all of the advertisers do not provide the discount – and at least one only allows a discount on amendments, not plants).
Isn’t one of the benefits of the organic program that you actually use fewer amendments? To answer your question, no it doesn’t, not even close.

Other Benefits

Doug wrote:
… this forum,

That’s good

Doug wrote:
…video features,

I may be alone on this, but this feature leaves a lot to be desired. Areas which need vast improvement before they could be considered informational (or even entertaining)…content and production quality.

Doug wrote:
…our research;

I would like to see some tangible results. When I hear this, I can’t help but think of HG’s famous (or infamous) line to his listeners…”you’re now in charge of that research”. Or even better was his statement in the research video where he basically said…we have research qualifying our theories…but the documentation is in someone’s drawer”

Doug wrote:
…I know you can see what we do, and I know you believe in what we are trying to accomplish.

I don’t know what “you” are trying to accomplish. Is there a mission statement to explain that?

Doug wrote:
Kbrew,
…Is it really the $2 per month that is causing you to leave?

kbrew wrote:
Doug,
… yes, it really is the money. I would rather spend that $25 on a subscription to an organic magazine that comes in the mail.

What other possible reason would he leave if not for the money and his ROI?

As I said in an earlier post, we will soon see whether these benefits are real (for the customer) or only perceived (by the DD group).

kbrew wrote:
…if you lose participation on this forum because of enough people like me, the "banners" are likely to disappear…

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. Clean wrote:
Actually, though I used the term “admin”, I didn’t mean you specifically. I was speaking more in general terms of the site’s/company’s administration. This is one of the initial threads regarding the changes. I think you may be able to read my frustration in trying to get a direct answer to my questions.

Thanks.....I appreciate the feedback.....I can't speak for Doug, but I can say that all members are very much appreciated....I wish we could make everyone happy and will continue to try to do so, but as you know that's a difficult, if not impossible task..... :(