It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 am 

I planted peonies two years in a row. the first years died. I thought last years died too, but the other day I noticed those unmistakable leaves. What can I do to nurture this little plant and keep it going? Right now it is surrounded by catnip and bread and butter flower (I dont' know what the real name for that is) and is getting bigger. Should I just leave it alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 am 

We just have ours in a flower bed and don't do much to it. Don't count on blooms, as our winters aren't cold enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:34 pm 

If you want peony blooms in a warmer climate, you might try this. Some winter evening when cold temperatures are expected, place ice around the peony bed. I do try to avoid placing ice right over the crown, just around the perimeter. I take two-liter soda pop bottles, fill them with water and freeze them for this purpose, creating nice, solid little blocks of ice. If you do this even a couple of times each winter, the peonies are more likely to get sufficient chill-hours to produce blooms. These won't be the huge, heavy, all-over-the-plant kind of blooms they get up north, but for peony lovers, seeing any bloom at all is a real treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:06 pm 

I normally have a very (very, very, very) negligent attitude toward most of my plants. If they survive, I let them live here. I am willing to do a little extra for peonies though.

A couple of years ago, on the way back from Austin, some women parked next to us at a rest stop and they had a couple of beautiful bouquets of peonies. I knocked on thier window and they let me smell them. I managed to not get too emotional. I took my pit stop and when I returned to the car and sat down, a peony emerged from the back seat. One of the women had given my kids one to give me. So much for not crying. We had them in my yard at my dad's house and I miss them so much. They are a rare treat for me.

A little embarassing, but some of us get very attached to little things like that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:22 pm 

Growing up in north east Illinois, I miss my Dad's peonies, too, and his lilac bushes, and wild voilets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:48 pm 

Ditto on the lilac bushes. Sure wish they woiuld grow down here in the DFW area.