It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hawks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:37 pm 

Have anyone ever seen a hawk hunted and caught something on your property?

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:00 am 

In the last few years I've only seen one bird (cardinal) being caught by a hawk. There are plenty of hawks in my area but the other birds are very good at watching & hiding when a hawk is spotted. Any particular reason you're asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:05 pm 

Any particular reason you're asking?

No reason. There was a hawk sitting on our site the other day. It has been flying around on our property for a few weeks. We live by a field and have had some wild rabbits that would come to our property every year. I thought maybe the hawk was trying to find a rabbit or a rodent. There was one hawk along time ago that was eating something on our property. I could not tell what it was because it was a bit far away.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:44 am 

last year a hawk took one of our purple martins. when that happened, the rest of them left the area & didn't return. this was after the babies had fledged. needless to say, we were not happy about that at all.

Post subject: Hawks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:25 am 

I saw one pick up a squirrel and fly off with it. After seeing that I was concerned about leaving our small dog outside.

Post subject: Hawks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:50 pm 

The most often observed hawk is the red-tailed hawk. It is common to see this raptor on telephone poles or soaring something like a turkey vulture. Red-tailed hawks dine on rabbits, snakes, mice etc.

Two smaller hawks are sometimes called bird hawks because they primarily feed on other birds. They are from a family of birds called accipiters. The Copper's hawk is the larger of the two species and is found in much of Texas on a year-around basis. The smaller Sharp-shinned hawk is a winter visitor to the state.

Accipiters have short, broad wings and a longish tail to help them manuver through the trees. While common in many areas accipters are not nearly as noticeable as the larger Red-tailed hawk, preferring to take a stealthier approach to hunting.

Post subject: Re: Hawks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:47 pm 

Birdzilla wrote:
The most often observed hawk is the red-tailed hawk. It is common to see this raptor on telephone poles or soaring something like a turkey vulture. Red-tailed hawks dine on rabbits, snakes, mice etc.

Two smaller hawks are sometimes called bird hawks because they primarily feed on other birds. They are from a family of birds called accipiters. The Copper's hawk is the larger of the two species and is found in much of Texas on a year-around basis. The smaller Sharp-shinned hawk is a winter visitor to the state.

Accipiters have short, broad wings and a longish tail to help them manuver through the trees. While common in many areas accipters are not nearly as noticeable as the larger Red-tailed hawk, preferring to take a stealthier approach to hunting.

Yeah, I was just wondering how many species of hawks there are in Texas. I like birds of prey group. They look so kingly and powerful. I never knew that hawks would hunt birds. For one thing I have seen them being chase by other birds includings the mocks, grackles, crows and wonder why doesn't the hawk just chop them. Speaking of bird hawk, is that the little bird Looney Toons that always want a chicken?

Just curious, are there eagles in Texas or near Texas? Because I was watching a hunting show that was in TX on TV and they said something about bald eagles. I thought that eagles were way up there somewhere and that the only birds of prey we have are hawks, owls, and buzzards.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:10 am 

I haven't heard about eagles in this area lately but several years ago, several Bald Eagles were spotted (nesting I believe) at Lake Worth. Maybe some other people have an update regarding these birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:16 pm 

There is an eagle fest every year in late Jan/early Feb. The date for 2006 is Feb 11,12, in Emory Texas, about 90 minutes east of Dallas. I've seen as many as 6 bald eagles in one tree. They migrate but a few stay and nest.
http://www.eaglefest.org/
Tony M

Post subject: I saw one too just now!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:23 pm 

My question was timing just a few seconds ago! When I just going home, I saw a hawk(probably the hawk that I was talking about) carrying a rabbit in its talons! But the rabbit wiggeled away. The hawk landed on my shed. When it saw me, it finally flew away.

The hawk was quite BIG and majestic compare to the other birds flying around. It must been the red-tailed since it had reddish tail with white chest.
COOL!!

Tree Dude