It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:36 pm 

Not at Kroger, Cupboard, or Petco...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:40 pm 

what kind of flea solution were you looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:43 pm 

Not to be an ass, but one that works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:00 pm 

There are many meaning to the term 'solution" - it can mean a mixture of different components, the answer to a problem, or the result of a solute dissolving in a solute. There are flea dips, there are systemic flea growth regulators, there are insecticides, there is soapy water and a flea comb. I have dogs, and there are things that i do for fleas in them...I was just trying to help. Perhaps if you would tell me what YOU mean by "solution" someone would bother helping you. get some courtesy, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:13 pm 

I disclaimed first, said I wasn't trying to be an ass.

I'm looking for a way to get rid of them. Kitty has em, I wanna be rid of em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:27 am 

I don't know if your cat can eat garlic, but adding garlic to the pet's food acts as a good flea repellent. If you want to avoid insecticides or systemic growth factor inhibitors like Sentinel or Revolution, and if your cat will let you do this, get a fine toothed 'flea comb' available at all pet supply stores (even those in Denton) and get your cat in your lap and have a bowl of warm soapy water at your side. Comb the cat with the flea comb, and after each stroke, dip the comb in the warm soapy water to get the little critters off the comb. Comb your cat all over - this will physically remove the fleas. There is a product that I found at PetCo in Dallas that is a flea repellent powder made of a combination of cedar, rosemary, and lavender that you can use in the cat's bedding and where the cat hangs out.
If your cat is an indoor cat, and the cat has fleas, then your house has fleas - and you will need to vacuum thoroughly and take the bag outside and bag it inside a plastic bag so that the fleas cannot escape.
I use a weak infusion of pennyroyal on my dogs - but this can be a very dangerous herb if you don't know what you are doing, so i don't suggest it. In your yard, you can use diatomaceous earth as well as beneficial nematodes to keep the flea population down.
I hope one of these methods works for your cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:40 am 

Now I'm regretting the bagless vaccuum cleaner purchase. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:08 pm 

If you sprinkle some DE on the carpet before vacuuming, it will kill fleas it contacts and any in the bag. It is rather messy/dusty. You could also vacuum the carpet and then vacuum a few spoonfuls of DE afterward. This should kill the fleas in the vacuum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:07 am 

I haven't had a flea problem since I began feeding Muenster Natural over 10 years ago. Last year was a different story. Just before Christmas, they got totally out of hand, and my cat had a severe allergic reaction. The day of the first major freeze, we dusted with the DE, then vacuumed everything where they could be living - all the furniture. No carpet in the house! We put CedarCide flakes under the couch cushions, under the sheets on the bed, and on the area rugs - anywhere the animals might lay.

Then I crossed over the line and treated them Revolution. It was a serious enough situation that I felt I needed to. Haven't seen a flea since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:23 am 

Where can you get Cedarcide? I guess I'll be picking up some DE this weekend on my nursery trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:29 pm 

I heard that Lowes doesn't carry it anymore. We actually bought ours at the Calloways in Denton. I think its on the loop, not sure? Call around, we had a hard time finding it in December.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:09 pm 

I normally hit Calloways, so I'll look for it tomorrow.