It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hummingbirds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:16 pm 

Hummingbirds will start returning to Texas this month (March), although a few over-winter along the Texas coast.

In the eastern 2/3rds of Texas the Ruby-throated hummingbird is the most common, while the Black-chinned may be the most common in the western part of the state.

Big Bend National Park is the place to go in Texas for hummers. You might get lucky and see Lucifer, Broad-tailed, Rivoli's, or the large Blue-throated hummingbirds.

Post subject: Re: Hummingbirds
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:26 am 

Birdzilla wrote:
Hummingbirds will start returning to Texas this month...

Birdzilla,
How long will these particular birds be around Texas? Are they on there way to some other place or do they stay a while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:04 am 

A little of both. Many migrate through Texas so the numbers are higher during migration but Ruby-thrated and Black-chinned are common nesting species in the state as well. The other species summer in the Big Bend area. Rivoli's and Lucifer are pretty uncommon.

Post subject: Hummingbird Map
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:39 am 

Here is the 2005 Ruby Red Throat map. It shows the first sightings as the Hummers migrate north. http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Post subject: hummingbirds
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 am 

Do you think it's too early to hang our hummingbird feeder? I have not seen any yet, thought it was more like May when they started to arrive.
Patty

Post subject: feeders
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:43 am 

I hang 1 feeder out the 3rd week of March, usually about the 19th, just in case a few "early birds" show up. Then I hang out several feeders the beginning of April.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:54 am 

I checked with Waynell H., a big hummingbird fan in North Texas, living just south of the Red River. She says her hummers arrive on March 27 unless freezing cold outside and she puts up a few feeders a week or 10 days earlier than that.

When I say Waynell is a fan I mean it. She goes through about 25 lbs of sugar every 3-4 days in peak season. A video clip of Waynell and her hummers is available on this web site. www.birdzillatv.com.

Post subject: Re: Hummingbirds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:38 pm 

Birdzilla wrote:
Hummingbirds will start returning to Texas this month (March), although a few over-winter along the Texas coast.

Somewhat related to this, I was wondering what to plant along the South side of the house (DFW area) that might be Hummingbird friendly. There's a fairly long stretch of grass running between the driveway and the South side of the house. Currently some old, tired bushes are there and I'm thinking of pulling them up and replacing them. There is a sprinkler system with some heads standing about 3 feet off the ground, so watering should not be too much of a problem. (Though, I try to water following the weekly-deeply pattern.)

I've done some digging on the web and at first thought that Red Trumpet Honeysuckle might be nice. However, reading about the invasiveness of that plant concerns me. There's nothing else to compete with there, so maybe not a problem. Though, the business about attracting ants and other bugs is another concern. On the opposite side of this South wall is the garage and kitchen. Obviously the latter is of concern. ;-)

I've also come across some info on the Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii), the Royal Red variety. Don't know much about it, though.

Also, I don't know if anything that's going to attract Hummingbirds will not also attract insects. Afterall, they're after the same stuff. Perhaps such plants are just best not near the house, and something more mundane be used instead? Or perhaps some combo of plants, one that Hummers like, but others ants not so fond of?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:55 pm 

Some plants to consider include native perennial Turk's cap, lantana, Texas betony (Stachys coccinea), cypress vine, butterfly weed, Mexican sunflower, zinnia and Texas star hibiscus.

Flowering plants are going to attract insects, including butterflies.

Texas Parks and Wildlife has a program called the Hummingbird Roundup.

For about $6.00 they will mail you a survey, a copy of Texas Hummer, scarlet sage seeds for your garden and a list of other good plant choices.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/bird ... d_roundup/

Also free downloads from the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:27 am 

The following site has a great plant selector for low water, native and very well adapted plants. Click on the "search plants" button on the main page to get to the plant database. They have just updated the site, so if you have not been there in awhile, it's worth another look.

http://www.txsmartscape.com