It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What do you think about Dirt Magazine online vs in the mail?
Love it! 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Like it. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Undecided. 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
I wish we could go back to a printed edition. 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Very dissatisfied and will not renew. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Dirt Magazine Poll
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:38 pm 

Poll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:14 am 

I love it. I have seen some of the mags. in a library and I did not think they were all that great. The information was great, but the look of them was not. It did not look professionally. The ones online is farther more greater now than ever. You get to go to links, see beautiful pictures with color besides black and white and grayish white.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:34 pm 

Tree Dude wrote:
...You get to go to links, see beautiful pictures with color besides black and white and grayish white.

I take it by this comment that you were not a subscriber to the DIRT magazine before it went online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:35 am 

Interesting poll, thanks! 8)

However, people with no internet access are not likely to participate....

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 am 

Nadine wrote:

Or to receive the magazine. The poll wasn't directed at people with no internet access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 pm 

kbrew,

I can't be certain of what information you are attempting to glean from this poll. I will make the assumption, based on your response options, that you are asking for users to compare/contrast their satisfaction of the delivery of the DIRT prior to and post moving to the online method. If that assumption is correct, I fear that you will not receive an accurate picture. You may have people responding who never received the hardcopy version of DIRT.

Edited to add:

Nadine's point has some merit. Those without a computer and/or internet connection now have no option to receive the magazine. Of course it goes without saying, those people have no voice in this poll. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:20 pm 

Mr. Clean,

Those that have never received the hard copy version of Dirt can have a general idea of what they like or dislike based on magazine subcsriptions they have had in the past. It is more about whether you like it online vs in the mail, not really about quality of articles etc.

Even if I could include votes from those without internet access I wouldn't want their input for this poll. Obviously, they would choose option 5 which would throw things out of whack. The reason for the poll was in response to reading sevaral posts last week from unhappy crew members. I just wondered what others (online) thought about the change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:36 pm 

kbrew wrote:
...The reason for the poll was in response to reading sevaral posts last week from unhappy crew members...

I understand, and assumed as much, as I have read and participated in those threads.

kbrew wrote:
... I just wondered what others (online) thought about the change.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, your results probably won't be truly representative of what you are seeking as we will have members who are not familiar with the "before the change" product voting. I will view the final results as merely "interesting", but not definitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:55 pm 

Mr. Clean wrote:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, your results probably won't be truly representative of what you are seeking as we will have members who are not familiar with the "before the change" product voting.

Again, it's really more about a general question of whether you like your Dirt online or in the mail... I assumed that the mag was the same content with only the delivery method being the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 pm 

The only problem I have with the online magazine is when I print it, some of the adds come out blurry and and are hard to read. I print it on a high quality lazer printer at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:35 pm 

Gar wrote:
...I print it on a high quality lazer printer at work.

Just curious, does your employer approve of your use of company resources for this? I am assuming your company is privately held. If so, you are lucky. Government employees and employees of publicly held companies don't have this luxury. Self-employeed and retired must pony up for these considerable expenses out of their own pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:08 pm 

kbrew wrote:
Nadine wrote:

Or to receive the magazine. The poll wasn't directed at people with no internet access.

:oops: Of course. I was just thinking about some of the people who have called in during the show that wish it was still sent by mail. I always remind people they can go to their local library and use computers there.
I tell them, "You may not realize this, but as a taxpayer, you have purchased a computer and internet access. It is at your local library."

There are stilll the issues of printing at a library with which I am unfamiliar. Two people said that they were not able to get around very well. I always mention friends, and family and this helps some...
:?
There have been a total of maybe 5 callers to address this issue on the days that I have answered calls. In my opinion, that is not that many, but I do feel bad for them...

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:18 pm 

Nadine wrote:
...There have been a total of maybe 5 callers to address this issue on the days that I have answered calls. In my opinion, that is not that many, but I do feel bad for them...

Another way to look at that is that only 5 have bothered to address the topic. There were two ladies during my short visit at the booth of the Arlington show who were quite distressed about their inability to receive the magazine. I don't know that they have also called into the show. Not everyone feels comfortable talking on the radio (I don't count myself amongst those numbers :lol: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:38 pm 

When you call into the program you don't have to wait to talk to Howard. You can talk to Nadine and she will pass along the information to Howard.
I have called in many times, when Nadine is taking calls and talked with her. She has been able to answer my calls everytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:24 pm 

I have called into the show before, and am cognizant of the way the program works. I belive you missed my point. Just as you missed my question above. :)