It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:11 pm 

Greetings fellow nature lovers! I want to run this by everyone and gather thoughts. I have a bermuda lawn and am digging a good portion of it up and making a raised bed. I would like a small, care-free but ornamental groundcover to grow between plants; one that would not compete the rosemary, lavendar, roses, and clematis. But, I also want it to be able to withstand the inevitable onslaught of bermuda...perhaps keeping the grass at bay. I was in Green Mama's yesterday and saw some really interesting sedum plants...they look just like what I am looking for, but I am not sure. The bed faces west and will have to withstand scorching afternoon TX sun. I live in Keller...soil is heavy clay but is becoming less clay-ish with the usual amendments. I plan to use primarily compost as the material for the raised bed. Thanks in advance for any help & insight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:26 pm 

Greetings, wbrebb.
You might also try some Lyreleaf Sage (salvia lyrata). Grows 4" high (18" when in flower). Evergreen with summer watering. Grows in either well OR poorly-drained soils. Shade OR Full Sun. Colonizes by self-sowing. Sally Wasowski (Native Texas Plants) says it is, "...good looking all year, easy to grow and buy. The showy pale flowers seem to float over the ground and last for four to five weeks. Set them one foot apart and let them seed out the first year to get a solid cover."

To be honest, I'm not sure if it would actually choke out any invading bermuda, but if you have dug out most of the grass before raising the bed, you should be able to deal with the small battles as you go. Be sure you don't till in any remaining bermuda. Those bits and pieces will be next to impossible to get rid of if tilled in.

The lyreleaf should be okay as far as competing with the other plants you mentioned since it spreads itself by seed and not rhizomes.