It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:31 pm 

Mockingbirds will give the cat headaches. (requoting myself)

I have also seen mockingbirds dive bomb after the tree rats. I guess they consider them as pests as we do. I have seen the squirrels ran brainlessly.
Either that the birds think they are cats from their big tails. But they probably don't know and don't care; whatever those hairball things are better stay away from ME!!!

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:34 pm 

Stanner and greenbeans,

I guess we can call an unruly cat as:

catrat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:23 am 

Stanner wrote:
I had some grass to die recently so I put some cedar mulch out to hopefully help the grass to come back. The neighborhood cats thought they had a new liter box and it was a very annoying situation not to mention the odor. Nadine suggested lava rock, so I put that out where the grass had died, over the cedar mulch and my problem is solved and it looks very nice. Sandra/Irving :D

Thanks for the report back on that, it's always good to hear reports on what does and does not work for people. 8)

I did mention that zeolite would take out the ammonia smell as well, didn't I?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:22 pm 

Yes, you did mention Zeolite. I haven't needed to use it since the lava rock has worked very effectively, not to mention how nice it looks. It has been interesting to read all of the comments, I am a dog person myself, :) Thanks again Santann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:37 pm 

As I said in a previous post, I learned about Lava Rock from this great exchange of gardeners last year. I used it in my flower bed out front and veggie garden out back and it has kept the cats and squirrels away 99% of the time! So instead of "taunting" some of you guys by saying that 'dogs rule over cats' :P I will say this that all can agree with :
LAVA ROCK RULES!!!!! :D Greenbeans

Post subject: Damn Cats..........
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:27 am 

Just read this entire string, and have a neighbor that feeds all the strays, too. Only they don't STRAY off anymore :x . Same picture, half dozen cats in the driveway, and crappin' in my new beds. Tried the coyote urine, I think that worked for a while. Ground up orange peels went down Saturday. Looking to get some 'Liquid Fence', Howard recommended. I let my German Sheperd out when I see them in the yard. He loves the exercise. :D Also filled up a birdfeeder with peanuts to attract and keep the Blue Jays around. We also have a bunch of Mockingbirds, but I want to attrack and maintain them, with little success so far. Any ideas of what I can attract more Mockingbirds with?

Thanks - BigKen

Post subject: cat prob
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:13 am 

BigKen-
I think Mockingbirds are insect eaters. I would think a healthy NATURAL environment would be best for attracting them. We had a nest in a dense shrub one year. Loved having them raise their babes but they did dive bomb anyone mowing near them!
Patty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:30 am 

I've heard they like citrus fruits, peanut butter with raisins, but have offered both, with no results. Oh well. I am already goin' through an easy $20.00/week on bird seed. I did notice a new dove nest in a crepe myrtle next to the door of my shed. She's layin' on 'em, and basically ignores me and the dog.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:47 pm 

I am no expert on what attracks certain birds. I believe we are very lucky here that the neighborhood has 50 yr old pecan and walnut trees, live oaks approx 20 + yrs old and various maple species. Also honeysuckle, crepe myrtles and well established boxwood hedges are a plus. Lots of places for birds to 'hide and nest' and things to eat! Some of us neighbors put out bird seed and feed the hummingbirds also. So it appears that the 'natural' order is taking care of it so far! But I agree, watch out for diving Momma birds when the babies are young. We almost gave up a few years ago trying to retrieve the newspaper out front for a month or so. :roll: Greenbeans