It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Neighborhood Cat Problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:32 pm 

I had some grass to die recently so I put some cedar mulch out to hopefully help the grass to come back. The neighborhood cats thought they had a new liter box and it was a very annoying situation not to mention the odor. Nadine suggested lava rock, so I put that out where the grass had died, over the cedar mulch and my problem is solved and it looks very nice. Sandra/Irving :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:36 am 

I used lava rock this year to deter cats out front in my flower beds and out
back in my raised bed gardens to deter the squirrels from digging up my veggie plants. I was so frustrated with both situations from the previous year of gardening, and I asked questions thru this website......What a major success this year!!
Made me a HAPPY gardener this year! THANKS for all the info!
Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:34 pm 

If you know the spot where the cat urinateded, you can put zeolite on it to get rid of odor. The other type of elimination is obvious and that too can be covered with zeoplite. Or, it could be put into the compost pile. It will be fine as long as the pile gets hot enough long enough to kill any harmful pathogens.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:47 pm 

And you can get 100% zeolite at H-E-B as their Hill Country Fare kitty litter. Look for the 20 pound blue bag for $1.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:14 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
And you can get 100% zeolite at H-E-B as their Hill Country Fare kitty litter. Look for the 20 pound blue bag for $1.99.

Wow! :o 100% zeolite? That is a bargain! Are you sure there is nothing else added?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:54 am 

Dogs will help you.
Mockingbirds will give the cat headaches.
Guns will....never mind

Tree Dude

Last edited by Tree Dude on Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:06 pm 

Treedude: Ha! Thanks for the laugh.....Have the dog...but he is out back in the yard, like any responsible pet owner does for their pets, so that never helped out front with the idiot cat owners who allow them to roam free and ruin flower beds and front porches of their neighbors. It has been a fun thing to watch the local mockingbirds go after the cats at times. Quite enjoyable to see! As for the gun thing...well...I know that was meant 'tongue in cheek' reality is, it should not be legal to allow so called 'house pets' to roam free...IF we were able to do that with our dogs, there would be a gigantic uproar. Laws need to be changed...in the meantime...the lava rock works out really well to deter the cats from destroying our property. Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:01 am 

I am a cat lover. I have two stepdaughters (I see them every other weekend) and a cat. These are my children. Still, I admit I did grin when I read about the shotgun thing. I do have a sense of humor; I have a sense of responsibility as well. Yes, responsible cat owners keep the cats indoors. If they feel they MUST go outside, get a protective caged area.

That being said, if you are a cat owner and live out in the country, which is a whole other situation. Cats are used as mousers and are usually smart enough (or trained) to come inside for the night when the coyotes are on the prowl.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:06 pm 

Nadine,
I agree 100% with your response. I wish that all pet owners felt the same way. Thanks! Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:11 pm 

Actually, I often think that all animals should stay outside. They (cats) throw up on the carpet , and I pick up the stuff and throw it away(of course, some of you would rather put them in the compost pile :roll: ), one of our cats put things in here water bowel, play with things at night( that is Pepper) .
Here is a interesting little story that happened with our cats:

Once upon a time, I went to the Arlington Organic Home & Gardening Show with some guy name Howard Garrett. While I was walking around, I stopped at the Silver Creek booth. I had samples of some composts. I when another booth and got some free sample of organic fertilizer. When I went home, I put the bags in one tough ziploc bag. I put it on the floor because it was late and I was tired. After church on the next day, I found the bag near the water bowel. Guess who was guilt-- PEPPER!! I saw some teeth marks on the bags. At least it was not ripped. THANK GOD IT WAS NOT!!!.
So I put the bag on top of my dresser, then I found it on my floor. This time it is in my dresser being shut.

What is YOUR story(es).
Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 pm 

Tree Dude wrote:
Actually, I often think that all animals should stay outside. They (cats) throw up on the carpet , and I pick up the stuff and throw it away(of course, some of you would rather put them in the compost pile :roll: ), one of our cats put things in here water bowel, play with things at night( that is Pepper) .
Here is a interesting little story that happened with our cats:

Once upon a time, I went to the Arlington Organic Home & Gardening Show with some guy name Howard Garrett. While I was walking around, I stopped at the Silver Creek booth. I had samples of some composts. I when another booth and got some free sample of organic fertilizer. When I went home, I put the bags in one tough ziploc bag. I put it on the floor because it was late and I was tired. After church on the next day, I found the bag near the water bowel. Guess who was guilt-- PEPPER!! I saw some teeth marks on the bags. At least it was not ripped. THANK GOD IT WAS NOT!!!.
So I put the bag on top of my dresser, then I found it on my floor. This time it is in my dresser being shut.

What is YOUR story(es).
Tree Dude

Howard who? :wink:

The fertilizer will do much better in your yard... <g>

Kitties love to play and explore stuff. It's their job. I bought an organically "supercharged" catnip filled frog for my cat. She sniffed at it and sniffed at it. Then she starts licking it and drooling on it and rubbing on it. It was almost obscene. We have to put it up at night and bring it out for special occasions or she will get strung out. :lol:

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:59 am 

Kudos to the responsible cat owners, if only ya'll represented the majority :( I agree with greenbeans, if we allowd our dogs to roam free through the neighborhood, cat owners would be up in arms. Yet those same owners have no qualms about having their cats roam freely.

We have a nice stand of mourning doves in our neighborhood, and the cats welcome the opportunity to kill, but not eat, a dove from time to time. Rest assured I haven't caught one stalking them :x If they would make themselves useful and kill off some of the less desireables I might tolerate them a bit more.

Post subject: Cat Stories
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:43 pm 

We have a nice stand of mourning doves in our neighborhood, and the cats welcome the opportunity to kill, but not eat, a dove from time to time. Rest assured I haven't caught one stalking them :x If they would make themselves useful and kill off some of the less desireables I might tolerate them a bit more

Yes, we had our 3rd cat,Cally (a beautiful calico), when she was younger we sometimes let her out. When she was out, she often finds anything that moved and kills it, but never eats them. Every week we found a skeleton of an anole lizard on our porch,which was finished off by ants. One day she caught a mouse!
That was a great cat we had. She even knew that one of our family was not feeling well by laying beside us in bed( at least we think). When my sister was a baby, she meow loud as possible and will not quit until one of us got her.
When we moved in to apartment a few years back, we heard this high pitch meow. We found a black kitten as small as my hand. A few days, later we found another one, except it was tabby. The calico one day correct one of the kittens because it was playing to roughly with the other. She hit him in the head! Well, the calico went to Cat of Paradise a few years, but we still have the cats(not kittens anymore, except for Pepper)

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:48 pm 

At work, I was telling someone that our cat woulf like to put things in her water bowel. She told me her cat did the same thing. She explained that cats in thw wild sometimes drown their prey.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 pm 

It is enjoyable reading everyone's responses about the cat problem and I believe that all who have answered are of the same mind. Some of us are 'cat' people, some are not. And that is OK, by me. Obviously I am not a cat person and it is because of the destruction they cause to our gardens. I don't live in the country, but in the city of Dallas and I am so frustrated with their lax laws and non caring attitude when a problem exists. Case in point: a neighbor thinks he is helping all the stray cats to 'survive' by feeding them every night outside in his driveway. What happens is litter after litter of cats, all roaming the area and destroying property. The best that Dallas can offer us suffering neighbors is to "try to get a cage" from them, and they never are in supply, then we have to set it up and trap the cat, then call animal control and they will come when they can and remove the cat AND trap and then we can start the process all over again. OR we can bring the cat and trap to them. Yeah, right :!:
Why do we have to deal with this mess? And we are talking about at least 15 cats on the block at last sighting. It is disgusting :x Anyone have any ideas aside from setting bowls of antifreeze outside? And I am joking about that last sentence, but the frustration does not go away. Greenbeans