It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mixing Seeds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:09 am 

I was wondering if there would be a down side to mixing Bermuda and Fescue grass seeds.

Why? I was told the fescue would come in strong by June, But would not hold up to a dog. The Bermuda would not come it strong until next year but would hold up to a dog, and take over the Fescue. Seeing as I do not have a dog yet, but will next year, so I believe the best of all worlds would be to throw out both seeds at one time.

This is my back yard and is in full Sun.

Am I off base?

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:24 pm 

If you threw fescue seeds now, they might sprout and will likely die by July. The reason is that they need hardy root structures to make it through a summer and they can't get it by then. So the time to seed with fescue is in the fall.

Bermuda seed will not sprout until the heat gets it. That's probably June so there's no sense throwing that seed right now. The birds will get it. Throw the bermuda seed in late May or June and you should get great germination and have a lawn this summer. You will be fighting weeds this year simply because you have nothing.

Be sure to roll your seed down onto the soil after you sow it. Use a water fillable roller. That will ensure you have seed in contact with the soil. The soil contact is needed to keep the seed moist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:23 am 

I was beginning to think no one liked me on this forum. Thanks for the answer. Actually that is perfect... I want Grass for an early June party, and I want Bermuda for the long haul, So I'll put out fescue now and wait till May to put down the Bermuda. Anyone in North Dallas got a water fill able roller to lend me? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:56 am 

Sowing 100s of grains of seeds would be back breaking. Will it give similar results if you use a rake to ruffle up the soil a bit & then throw in the seeds in the area. If this is followed with a good spray of water, perhaps it would yeild similar results? What do you think?