It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:16 am 

Sorry for the following long-winded description. I have a row of very large limestone rocks that form a border along my driveway, about 25 feet in length. These stones were dug out when the driveway was formed and each rock is about 2' or 3' tall x 4' long x 3' wide. Behind these rocks, the ground slopes up about 3' between me and the next lot. I would like to landscape with something in the area behind the rocks and before the 3' slope. The key thing is that the plants would need to be taller than the rocks. I would also like something to grow between the gaps but this might be difficult because of the shade from the rocks.

The area is full-sun in black clay with caliche and well-drained.

I have decided to put some Vitex and Butterfly Bush for part of the plan. Any other ideas? It can be annuals, perennials, shrubs or anything really. Hopefully, something with color.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:19 pm 

your site sounds interesting. i would think about weeping winter jasmine which is low water, sun/pt shade, zone 6-10. it has long arching/draping stems that bloom mar-apr/yellow/no scent. it looks really good draping over boulders. another thought is prostrate rosemary (you can lose it in winter in zone 7). some of the rambling roses could be good too such as the thornless lady banks (white or yellow) or pinkie climbing (pink) blooms a lot (also thornless). then i would think about something strongly verticle like yucca, and something that crawls in and around the nooks/crannies like thyme. veronica, or verbena.
good luck;
let us know your choices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 pm 

bj, I will certainly consider these. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and post pics when I'm done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:18 pm 

I would use the creeping (prostrate) rosemary. Ever green, scented and it flowers.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:36 pm 

How about adding some lavender? There are some plenty tall varieties and your site sounds perfect for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:19 am 

I think I'll go with some antique roses, rosemary (prostrate) and lavender. And the winter jamine if I can find it. I decided to bring in some good dirt to fill in the gaps and raise the planting area so that it is level with the top of the rocks. This was my only choice after, this weekend, I discovered there is absolutely no soil there to work with, rather, there is nothing but solid rock too thick to chisel out. But this should look better anyway.
Thanks for all of the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 am 

if you don't find the winter jasmine locally, you can get it from High Country Gardens @ highcountrygardens.com for 8.99ea. i think they are a great nursery for hot dry climates. ( not that we've been too dry lately!)