It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GRASSHOPPERS
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:11 am 

How long does it take to see results from DE, NO-LO and Orange Oil.
I have treated different areas two days ago to see which works best but I have seen no results. No dead grasshoppers. I am infested with half inch to one grasshoppers. I need sound advise. I heard dusting with self-rising flour works????????

Post subject: grasshoppers
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:54 pm 

chickens are the only thing that has worked for me

Post subject: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:27 am 

NOLO bait takes awhile but it does work. Essentially it affects the entire Grasshopper lifecycle in one way or another. Since Grasshoppers cannibalize their own they spread the infection by eating their dead. This is not a quick fix but it will help to decrease their population for the long term. I used the bait last year and have seen a significant decrease since since then and I have also found many Grasshopper carcasses around my yard. :)

My understanding of DE is that it works best on soft shell insects so I do not know how well it will work on Grasshoppers. Grasshoppers tend to be rather thick skined(shelled).

Post subject: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:41 am 

rjxw,

How did you keep them on your property? Did you just let them roam free? Will they tear up a garden? I have neighbors on either side of my one acre lot and some extremely irritating stray dogs. Sorry for all the questions.

Post subject: nolo bait
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:16 pm 

Does nolo bait have a shelf life? I have some that is a yr old and wondered if it would still be viable.

Post subject: Nolo Bait.
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:13 am 

Since Nolo is a living organism and the Bran Flakes they are on are to get the Grasshoppers to eat it and not to feed the Nolo I would think so. I am not 100% on that though. It may sound silly but have you looked for a "Best if used by" date on the container?

Post subject: chickens?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:54 pm 

This is a really stupid one....My neighbor already has the chickens, they hang out with our horses all the time...The problem is in my yard, that is fenced with an inground swimming pool????? Will the chickens want to take a swim?
When I let them in and out of the yard to go into the pasture, will they go hang with the neighbors chickens? He keeps his in at night.
So far the best answer for grasshoppers is chickens :D
Thanks becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:00 pm 

I'm like you Becky! :D I don't know a whole lot about chickens either. Could be that my hubby wouldn't approve. He would probably think they would really make a big mess! Personally I wouldn't mind having some chickens as long as they didn't scratch and tear up my gardens.

Dancey

Post subject: Re: nolo bait
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:51 pm 

c bessent wrote:
Does nolo bait have a shelf life? I have some that is a yr old and wondered if it would still be viable.

The answer is no. There is a manufacture date on each container of nolo and if you read the label, it states that the product should be used within a certain time period ( I believe it is 90-100 days). :(

Post subject: Hang up bird feeders
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:33 pm 

Last year I had many grasshoppers in yard, trees, beds, everywhere...so I hung several bird feeders on fences, several feed stations on ground, & bird bath. I've continued to feed & water birds all year, so I have many many birds visiting my yard daily.

So this year I'm very much enjoying watching birds fly around than grasshoppers. I have not seen 1 grasshopper yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Post subject: grasshopper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:50 pm 

Yes, Jim, self-rising flour works well. Just sprinkle it over the bushes and ground where the critters are and within days, you will see some results. Good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:41 pm 

NOLO works well on young grasshoppers that get to it. But if they mature
elsewhere then come in NOLO does not seem to work. Two years ago i had 22 holly bushes eaten bald by grasshoppers. This year I have grashoppers all over my sunflowers. They just seem to hang out, Dont seem to be eating anything. Dont know why.