It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chickens in the garden
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:15 am 

other than fencing, does anyone know of a spray or mixture that will keep the chickens from eating the lettuce, cabbage and brocolli?

They avoid the squash, beans, okra, onions, but just love the tender green stuff. I'm tired of replaning, and they manage to fly over or get the fencing. Individual plant cages would work, but lots of work there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:32 pm 

As you are experiencing and probably understand, the idea that chickens are dumb represents a certain level of ignorance for those people who think such. Have you tried bird netting, being sure, of course, to anchor it down? They would be smart enough to get under it if you don't. Otherwise, the individual cages sound like your best bet. Mine used to eat my lettuce down to the ground but that was the only thing they ever bothered. Other than occasionally pooping on the porch they served their purpose of natural insect control well. But now I miss them b/c they were great pets too and I plan to get a few more this spring (Danish Brown Leghorns, Production Reds, Rhode Island Reds, Silkies, and Black Australorps have excellent personalities). I also heard of someone hanging CDs from their tomato plants to keep the crows away. I've not tried this yet but wonder if this might work for chickens too?

Anne